thindery

Difference Between Pamela's Products?

Rate this topic

We went gluten free this year. We have been using only 2 mixes for all of our needs:

Pamela's Baking/Pancake Mix: Used for about 3 months to make banana bread, cookies, pancakes, chicken breading, and brownies. Absolutely love them and don't plan on trying to find alternatives since my wife and I love them so much.

Pamela's Gluten Free Bread Mix: Used once to make a pizza crust. Crusts turned out wonderful and even the frozen and reused crusts were just as good as freshly made.

My mother wants to bake a cake for a birthday and even though I told her she didn't need to try to accomodate us(not big cake fans anyways), she insisted on making a gluten free cake. She thought she could use these "gluten free flours" I talk about. Since we haven't tried to bake a cake, I'm not sure which one to use!? Since she is baking from scratch, can we just substitute the baking/pancake mix in place of the flour, baking soda and baking powder(since the baking/pancake mix already has that stuff in it)?

I read reviews that Pamela makes specific cake mixes, but that isn't an option since my local stores don't offer pamela's products, I had to order the two mixes in bulk online.

We tried a Betty Crocker gluten free cake mix once and it was just horrible. I will not let my mom use it!

Anybody suggest what we should do from past experience I'd rather not get into mixing my own flours because we already have these two mixes on hand. i just don't know which is best to use in substitute of flour.

i AGREE. i did not like betty crockers gluten-free cake mix at all. the brownies were do-able.

from my understanding- i think people use Pamela's pancake flour for everything including cake- but i could be wrong. i made her vanilla cake once- DELISH, i made her choco cake 2x... 1x it was SUPERB, and the 2nd time i messed it up- dont know why?

also- my new MOST FAVE gluten-free cake mix is from this site: (ive only tried the Dark Vanilla- my mom made it with a homemade vanilla buttercream- it was YUMMMM... tasted like wedding cake- and moist like it had gluten .. yummo:

http://www.dowdandrogers.com/products.html

I use Pamela's by the case. Seriously ;) I use the bread flour for breads, pizza, etc... I use the pancake mix for everything else. If I'm modifying a regular recipe, when the recipe calls for baking soda, baking powder and salt-I omit it completely. If I run out of the pancake mix, I'll use the bread flour. Then I just follow the recipe as is, just subbing the flour cup for cup and I omit salt bc there's salt in the flour.

Does that make sense? :blink:

:lol: :lol:

I was wondering the same thing.

I know this won't help you but in case somebody else reading this is interested, the pancake mix has milk and nuts in it and the bread mix does not.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! This really helps me get a better grasp on how to use Pamela's products to in family recipes. I'm feeling better about cooking and baking gluten free now. :D

Wow. You guys are the first people I've heard say you thought the Betty Crocker mixes were horrible. I love all 4, I think they're fantastic and my gluten friends can't even tell the difference! Isn't it funny how different people's tastes are!