Debbie B in MD

So What's Next? What Tests Should She Have?

Rate this topic

Well,since my daughter's blood test indicate Celiac, what is next? I knwo we need to go to the GI doc. Aside from the possibility of an endoscope/biopsy, what blood tests should I ask for? Vitamin and mineral deficiencise? Nutritonal related? Vitamin D?

I haven't been diagnosed officially either, but I go to the endocrinologist soon for a thyroid check-up. What should I ask for in addition to Vitamin D?

Thanks bunches.

There are so many tests you could ask for, but I'd say it depends somewhat on your symptoms. I would hope that a test for deficiencies would include many nutrients at once. Not sure you'd have to specify them, but probably cannot hurt to ask. B vitamins, especially B12, magnesium, iron, vitamin D, zinc, calcium, folic acid, vitamin K, are some of the ones often deficient in persons with Celiac. But practically any nutrient can be deficient. As the saying goes; 'Never say never'.

As you may have read by now, all the best tests for Celiac are very often falsely negative. Even the biopsy and endoscopy, which it seems doctors rely on too much. The best test is a gluten-free diet, so whatever the results, do try a 100% gluten-free diet and see how you feel.

Hoping all the best for you!

I would just add to what RiceGuy said that often the results will come back as "normal" but that normal could be at the very lowest end of the normal scale and if so she would probably benefit from supplementation. You don't want to be at the bottom of anything or you can slip right off the end :P And that is just a measure of what is circulating in the blood, not what is available to the cells. So always get a copy of your results (of everything) so you can see for yourself what they say. Doctors often miss or pass over things.