Mothering3

Grain-Free "couscous" Salad

Rate this topic

Blend cauliflower in your food processor until it is the size of a grain. This is your couscous. Boil in salted water for about 2 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain and rinse with cool water. Add a few T olive oil, 1/2 cucumber chopped finely, 1 can of chick peas, 1/2 carmelized onion, 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, 1/8 cup toasted sesame seeds, 1/4 cup soaked dried currants, finely chopped chives, cilantro, mint, and parsley, juice of one lemon, salt to taste, red pepper flakes.

The cauliflower comes out impressively grain-like!

Yum! this sounds delicious!

yes, yes, yes!!! this is awesome!!! Haven't tried but have cauliflower in my fridge. I can't wait. So much better for you than using a grain anyway and I bet you can't even tell. Thank you for being so creative and sharing.

Blend cauliflower in your food processor until it is the size of a grain. This is your couscous. Boil in salted water for about 2 minutes, until tender but not mushy. Drain and rinse with cool water. Add a few T olive oil, 1/2 cucumber chopped finely, 1 can of chick peas, 1/2 carmelized onion, 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, 1/8 cup toasted sesame seeds, 1/4 cup soaked dried currants, finely chopped chives, cilantro, mint, and parsley, juice of one lemon, salt to taste, red pepper flakes.

Marking this one to try. Thanks! I can't wait to serve it to my family and not tell them what it is. They'll know it's not couscous, obviously, but I won't tell them what it is till after they've eaten it. :)

Quinoa is also a good substitute for couscous.

I haven't tried to use it as a salad yet, but millett reminds me of Couscous. I plan to cook the millett a bit dryer than normal and start adding stuff.

The cauliflower recipe sounds delish!

I've been looking at the amaranth in my cupboard and wondering how close that would be to couscous if I cooked it in chicken broth.