This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-Free Organic Skincare

Minnie777

Minnie777 Newbie

My doctor wants me to not use any gluten containing skincare products because skin is part of the immune system and what is put on the skin will eventually end up in the body.

I looked at my products, emailed several companies and found that quite a few of my products contained either wheat germ oil or hydrolyzed wheat protein.

In the process of looking at ingredients I was really surprised just how many different things are in skincare. What is all that stuff?

On a detox board I came across a skincare brand called Odacite that only uses either organic or wild-crafted ingredients and no preservatives or harsh chemicals - and it is freshly made for each client. I emailed them because in their general list of ingredients they show wheat and rye. The customer rep got back to me very quickly, which was a nice change after being ignored by several brands :P

She got in touch with the lab and the only product containing gluten is the cleanser, all others are gluten free. After answering a few questions about my skin they are now preparing a sample kit (without cleanser) for me to try their products.

I really hope the products work well, because I like the idea of using fresh "clean" skincare.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

My doctor wants me to not use any gluten containing skincare products because skin is part of the immune system and what is put on the skin will eventually end up in the body.

I looked at my products, emailed several companies and found that quite a few of my products contained either wheat germ oil or hydrolyzed wheat protein.

In the process of looking at ingredients I was really surprised just how many different things are in skincare. What is all that stuff?

On a detox board I came across a skincare brand called Odacite that only uses either organic or wild-crafted ingredients and no preservatives or harsh chemicals - and it is freshly made for each client. I emailed them because in their general list of ingredients they show wheat and rye. The customer rep got back to me very quickly, which was a nice change after being ignored by several brands :P

She got in touch with the lab and the only product containing gluten is the cleanser, all others are gluten free. After answering a few questions about my skin they are now preparing a sample kit (without cleanser) for me to try their products.

I really hope the products work well, because I like the idea of using fresh "clean" skincare.

Three cheers for your gluten-savvy doctor!! :)

Thanks for sharing!! :)

Many think this is baloney...as in, if you don't eat it, it's not a problem. A LOT of us know otherwise. I, too, have to avoid skin care and shampoo products, etc. with hydrolyzed wheat protein. And, apparently, :blink: I have to stop giving the cat treats, too...yup, gluten in those (but that's a topic I explained in another post)

Other good gluten-free/ soy free products are made by Savonnerie and Cleure.

Michelle1234 Contributor

Excellent recommendation by your Dr. Although I don't use the product you mention I was curious and looked them on on the Environmental Working Group Cosmetic Safety Database. Looks like they are a good one so next time I'm in the store I'll keep an eye out for them. Here is a link for the database if you want to see how they rate.

heatherjane Contributor

I use Desert Essence. A lot of their products now say gluten free right on the label, and their "Organics" line is completely gluten free.

tsisler Newbie

I use Desert Essence. A lot of their products now say gluten free right on the label, and their "Organics" line is completely gluten free.

I just bought the Desert Essence shampoo and conditioner myself. I love them. I was having a lot of trouble finding a good conditioner and face wash without gluten. My hair is doing so much better and I also use the shampoo as a face-wash. I know this sounds strange and I never would have done it before - but I was desperate - and its working great! (and I have really sensitive skin).

heatherjane Contributor

I just bought the Desert Essence shampoo and conditioner myself. I love them. I was having a lot of trouble finding a good conditioner and face wash without gluten. My hair is doing so much better and I also use the shampoo as a face-wash. I know this sounds strange and I never would have done it before - but I was desperate - and its working great! (and I have really sensitive skin).

I use their Thoroughly Clean face wash and it works well for my acne prone/sensitive skin. I use their moisturizer and cleansing pads too and have done well with them.

Archived