MitziG

Relapsing/ Remitting Celiac?

Rate this topic

My son was recently diagnosed via biopsy. My daughter and myself have had positive blood tests and are having biopsies next week. I am pretty sure they will be positive as of SO many symptoms we have had. My question is, is it possible to have periods of remission, for years even, and then flares?

At the age of 5 I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy,(thru skin-prick tests) after projectile vomiting for 4 years. My parents were told I would outgrow it. I was taken off all wheat products and the vomiting stopped, but I did continue to have alot of diarrhea and abdominal pain until I was a teenager. By teenage years, I could eat wheat without vomiting though. As a child I also had frequent bouts of canker sores, which then went away when I was a teenager and reappeared when i was in my mid twenties. I have had them at least once a month since then, usually dozens at a time, lining my throat and tongue, very, very painful. Doctors have been no help. I have had alot of other issues- extreme fatigue, neuropathy, hypotension, skin rashes, constant infections- and alot of stomach issues, but off and on...just about every celiac symptom there is it seems! But looking back, I noticed that I had "good periods" often for a few years- where I was hardly ever sick, had lots of energy, no stomach issues- and then all the symptoms would return and I would feel like crap for several years. Currently I am in the "feeling like crap" period again. ;) So...does this sound like a common thing with Celiacs? To have years that are symptom free and then WHAM- sick again?

Yes, adolescence, with the drastic hormone changes, is OFTEN a period of "silent" celiac when you don't really experience noticeable symptoms. Doesn't mean that it's in remission - damage to the intestines is likely still occurring.

Yes, our GI told us that teens and young adults often get a "honeymoon period" where the awful symptoms subside, but the damage is still happening to the intestine. Then, people hit their twenties and it all comes back, sometimes with stronger symptoms than before.

Ahhh...well that would make sense then. Just another reason to wish I was a teenager again! ;)