Marlie

Chocolate Chip Cookie What I Have Discovered

Rate this topic

After dozens of batches of chocolate chip cookies I have finally found a way to make CCC that look like their non gluten-free version and taste like them without grittiness or a cake like texture that do not require the dough to be refrigerated.

Follow original toll house recipe but make the following changes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350 if cookies spread reduce to 325 to stop spread. Oven temperature really effects these cookies. Use only a teaspoon of dough, which will create about a 2 to 2 1/2 inch cookie. Jules flour has worked the best creating a non cake like texture. Add an extra 1/4 cup flour to recipe. Cut butter from 1 cup to 1/2 cup. No other changes to original recipe. I have tried this several times with great success. I bake these on a Williams and Sonoma gold cookie sheet for nine minutes.

I have tried various flours, with and without combinations and individually of xantham gum and guar gum, with baking powder ranging from 1/4 teaspoon to two teaspoons, diff't amounts of butter and flour. However these are by far the best!

• Upvote 1

I do love me some Jules cookies. B) I know this is changing the subject, but do you find that baking non-cookie stuff with her mix always ends up way too "springy"? I made cornbread using it and it was so dense and moist that it tasted like corn-flavored birthday cake...yummy, but wasn't what I was going for.

Every time that I make CCC's I say to self "This has too much butter" but always forget to reduce it. Glad you found out that it works. :)

I do love me some Jules cookies. B) I know this is changing the subject, but do you find that baking non-cookie stuff with her mix always ends up way too "springy"? I made cornbread using it and it was so dense and moist that it tasted like corn-flavored birthday cake...yummy, but wasn't what I was going for.

Have only thus far tried only cookies and brownies. I'm trying to nail one thing at a time before I move to the next. I did nail Pumpkin Bread with the Authentic Food Flours. I've only accomplished brownies, chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Pumpkin Bread and Waffles. Lemon Bars are my next challenge. I'm finding I don't like the gluten free cookbooks and am altering my non gluten Free recipes to gluten-free through alot of trial and error.

I can say authentic foods and Jule's are the only flours I have had success with anything I've tried. These both produce no grit like texture. Authentic Foods flours are more akin to a cake flour and Jule's is more akin to a traditional all purpose flour in my humble opinion.

• Upvote 1

Since I prefer the cookie dough to the cookie, how does the dough taste?

Honestly, a tiny bit strange. The texture isn't quite right. The finished product is absolutely incredible though!

We made Jules chocolate chip cookies from her mix and only baked a few of them! I thought I was being a good girl and freezing the dough in balls for later baking...um, no. Everyone kept eating them straight out of the freezer! :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

To me they taste the same. However, since you are not baking them you can up the butter to the normal amount and cut the flour back to the original recipe. We eat half of these as dough. We haven't yet but will make our own cookie dough ice cream. And by the way I am an extremely picky eater and extremely picky CCC person.

• Upvote 1