JSegura226

One Week gluten-free!

Rate this topic

Before you start reading this post, it is a little graphic as far as talking about bowel movements and just wanted to give yall fair warning first..

Well I am officially on my 6th day of ridding my home and diet of Gluten and eating whole foods..I have always had gluten in my daily regiment and the change has been very hard on me.. My diet for 6 days has basically consisted of Chicken breast, white non fatty fish, steamed puree'd green beans, yams, aspargus, and 60+ ounces of water a day. I have also been taking a digestive enzyme and multivitamin as well.. I was in pretty dire shape starting this diet and EXTREMELY weak and skinny (reminded me of skeletor from He-man :P). I thought I was close to death there for a while.. I am self diagnosed and was really scared to start the diet since I have been rapidly losing weight and energy fast.. This last 3 weeks I have dropped from a skinny 5ft 7 inches 118 lbs( which is the weight I have floated around all of my adult life) to a scary 99 lbs before deciding to make my diet switch as a last resort. I have climbed back to 100 lbs but OMG this week has been insane... The non stop energy surges and drops drive me crazy. One moment I feel like I am getting better and am up off the bed stretching and trying to exercise a little then the next minute I feel like dead weight, can barely lift my arms and feel like death (is this normal?). Mornings are the worst. I wake up and feel like I just ran 5 miles and took a sleeping pill.. My digestive system has also been haywire since starting the diet. For a week before going gluten-free I was having really bad Diarrhea that looked like Vomit..Basically the food was shooting right through me and my digestive tract was doing nothing. For the first 2 days being gluten-free I started taking a digestive enzyme and was excited because I was starting to have semi-normal poop, then all of a sudden I was constipated!! I don't think I have been constipated since my scoliosis surgery 10 years ago!! My number 2 bathroom sessions as long as I remember have always been abnormally fast and soft, and this change was very extreme for me...But I definitely feel for people suffering from constipation now.. that is the absolute worst feeling... Anyways, I starting taking a magnesium supplement as soon as the constipation started and today I am back to Diarrhea with fatty deposits. I see very little, if any, undigested food so I think this a good sign... I am also suffering from muscle aches in my arms these last 2 days. I feel like I have been doing reps with a curlbar :huh:... Well, tomorrow is day 8 and I just came on the site for some moral support and comments since I have been feeling pretty down.. any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Also did anybody suffer from random 15 bouts of fever while starting the change?

hang in there!

though i didn't suffer from fever, after a 10 hour night of sleep i would wake up feeling exhausted and like i had just been hit by a truck- this was the case for the first two weeks of gluten free. i had some freaky, middle of the night heart palpations. the severe fatigue started to gradually go away at week two and about 6 weeks into it i could cope with daily life like a mostly normal person. ("mostly" because i was still exhausted in the evenings). i am now about 90% back to normal in month 3. this little bit to go seems to do with gaining fitness/muscle/cardio strength back- not there yet.

it seems like resting and just taking care of myself (no cheating and over doing it) were key. btw, i had a few days of 'D' followed by a few days of 'C'- on and off for those first couple weeks as the body adjusted.

Thanks ladymiss.. This whole process has definitely been a major struggle for me.. your words of encouragement help me out more than you know..

Just wanted to add one more thing to my original post.. This morning my D started out heavy with very very yellow mucus/bile. Since then I have had to go to the bathroom like 4 times today, but nothing is coming out but bile by itself in small amounts.. also the color has gone from very yellow to more clear this afternoon.. but this bile has itty bitty specs of red blood in it which is making me freak out! :ph34r: Should I be this concerned? I have never had blood in my stool before...