This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nutiva Products

element192

element192 Rookie

I'm looking into adding gluten-free and dairy-free protein into my diet and recently came across Nutiva Hemp Protein Powder on Amazon. I was also hoping to use their chia seeds because they are very reasonably priced compared to Whole Foods.

I emailed the company asking if they use any shared equipment or facilities with gluten foods and got the response below. Has anyone uses either of these products with success, I don't know if I really want to risk it.

"None of the products that Nutiva sells have gluten in the ingredients. In order to designate "gluten free" on your label the product must be processed in a plant that does not process other gluten products. Our 8 and 13 oz and 3 and 5lb Organic Shelled Hempseeds meet this criteria.

All of our coconut oil is packaged on a dedicated line that does not process any gluten ingredients. The plant does process gluten products in another area of the facility.

Our hemp oil is also processed on a dedicated line that does not process any gluten ingredients, in a plant that processes gluten. The gluten products are processed in a sealed powder room in another section of the facility.

Our protein powders and hempshakes are also produced in that plant, in the same sealed room as the gluten products, on the same equipment. The production takes place at different times and the equipment is washed and sterilized between production runs as is required by law.

Our bars are produced in a separate plant from our other products, that has no soy, dairy, or egg. There is oatmeal processed here which many people with gluten issues have problems with even though pure oats don't technically have gluten. The oats used here are certified organic but are not certified gluten free. Oats are often contaminated by wheat. Please see the letter below:

To Whom It May Concern,

We do use ingredients that are listed below. We have only one equipment line, which all of these ingredients come in contact with. Here is a list of all our ingredients. We do wash down the equipment between every different production run.

almonds

apples

Apricots (organic)

Cherries

chocolate

Cinnamon

cranberries

crisp brown rice (organic)

flax

hemp (organic)

honey

Apricots (organic)

peanut butter

peanuts - redskins

peanuts splits

pumpkin (organic)

raisins - Sultanas

raisins - Thompson

rolled oats (organic)

salt

sesame (organic)

sunflower (organic)"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AzizaRivers Apprentice

I use their coconut oil without problems. I have sometimes reacted as super-sensitive when there was trace amounts, and I've also been fine on occasions when I was surprised to not have been glutened by my surroundings. So, I'm fine with Nutiva and I'm at least very sensitive, but better get some more opinions.

• 2 months later...
element192 Rookie

Any chance of bumping this thread? Or maybe nobody uses Nutiva products? If anyone has any experience with any of their products I would really appreciate some feedback.

Roda Rising Star

I've only used the coconut oil and was fine with it.

• 2 months later...
fierce bunny Newbie

I am also interested in the Nutiva line and would like input. I got gluttened recently and need to be extremely careful. Thanks

• 2 years later...
Dylanco Newbie

I have reacted badly to nutiva shelled hemp seeds.  I'm not aware I'm reactive to hemp, so maybe their seeds are contaminated.  I notice they explicitly do not state their hemp seeds are gluten free on their web site, though they state their chia seeds and coconut products are gluten free.  I also notice in the email above they do not state their hemp seeds are tested.  I recommend you try other brands or products.  Please let me know if you have other results!

kareng Grand Master

I have reacted badly to nutiva shelled hemp seeds.  I'm not aware I'm reactive to hemp, so maybe their seeds are contaminated.  I notice they explicitly do not state their hemp seeds are gluten free on their web site, though they state their chia seeds and coconut products are gluten free.  I also notice in the email above they do not state their hemp seeds are tested.  I recommend you try other brands or products.  Please let me know if you have other results!

The OP posted this about 3 years ago and hasn't been back in almost that long.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Estella Newbie

Updated response from Nuvita as of Feb 2014... Contacted them via Facebook re: gluten-free status of hemp seeds. Received the following reply from one of their reps Megan Hunt, who has her own dietary restrictions. Appreciate their being so up front & honest.. please feel free to contact them via Facebook.  "The issue with hemp is that it is naturally a non-gluten food. But most hemp is grown in Canada (and that is where ours comes from), because it is not legal to grow in the U.S., there is a risk of cross-contamination from nearby wheat fields. One of Canada's major crops is wheat. What this means for us is that often our hemp tests as gluten-free, and meets gluten-free certification requirements, but occasionally it does not, because of very low levels of blow over from nearby wheat fields. We are actively pursuing gluten-free certification, and have recently obtained it for our chia and coconut flour. But we are still in-process trying to source hemp that we can guarantee is gluten-free. Considering your level of sensitivity and the direct impact on your health, I can't recommend our hemp products for you at this time. I would also advise you to be very cautious about any hemp products that do not carry the gluten-free certification symbol. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if there is any way I can help. Wishing you vibrant health and wellness." 

Archived