Rate this topic

Hi -

I have a strange question. My son is on a gluten free/casein free diet for 4 months not b/c of celiac but b/c of autism. We did not notice any dramatic improvement with the diet, but that might have been b/c we made the transtion VERY slowly. We reintroduced a little casein and he did fine. Next we want to test him on a small amount of gluten to see if there is a reaction to give us guidance on whether to continue with the diet.

So this is my question ... do people who do not have a gluten sensitivity have a reaction when gluten is re-introduced when they haven't had gluten for a while? I was trying to figure out if we see any reaction if this means he's gluten sensitive or if we should expect to see some problems no matter what since he's been it's been 4 months.

I hope I'm making sense!

If he's not sensitive to gluten he won't have a reaction to it just because he hasn't had it for 4 months.

Hi -

I have a strange question. My son is on a gluten free/casein free diet for 4 months not b/c of celiac but b/c of autism. We did not notice any dramatic improvement with the diet, but that might have been b/c we made the transtion VERY slowly. We reintroduced a little casein and he did fine. Next we want to test him on a small amount of gluten to see if there is a reaction to give us guidance on whether to continue with the diet.

So this is my question ... do people who do not have a gluten sensitivity have a reaction when gluten is re-introduced when they haven't had gluten for a while? I was trying to figure out if we see any reaction if this means he's gluten sensitive or if we should expect to see some problems no matter what since he's been it's been 4 months.

I hope I'm making sense!

If he's not sensitive to gluten he won't have a reaction to it just because he hasn't had it for 4 months.

That was my thought. We put my youngest son gluten free after he had a full celiac pannel done. The only thing positive was the ttg. I figured he is celiac based on that positive test and me having it. We did not do a scope or consult with a GI. His daddy wanted a little more evidence that we did the right thing so after 4 1/2 month we decided to do a gluten challenge. Gluten definately bothers our son and the challenge only lasted 3 days when his daddy said enough. He is happily back gluten free, as the challenge was to me that there was proof in the pudding. If your son truely does not have an issue with gluten it shouldn't matter that he hasn't had it in that long.