Bamberz1977

Newly Diagnosed And So Happy That I'm Not Crazy

Rate this topic

I first heard about Celiac Disease in 2003 while listening to NPR and thought "Hmmm, maybe that's what my problem is" yet I promptly dismissed it because I felt enough like a hypochondriac as is. I have been diabetic since 17, diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Panic and Anxiety Disorder, Borderline Personality Disorder, ADD (in other words a walking DSM-IV), have had issues with pain since my early twenties, and frankly I was starting to feel as if everything was in my head. After hospitilization a month ago for gastroenteritis I was referred to a GI Dr. who promptly did blood tests and a biopsy and I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease last Tuesday.

After doing my reading I could easily correlate pretty much everything and what a relief to know that I'm not just making everything up. I figure that the extra cost of a gluten free diet will even out with reduced Dr's. visits and I am hoping that it will also help my diabetes be more controlled. In the area in which I live not much is known about Celiac Disease so I will likely be asking a lot of questions. Thanks!

So glad you've finally gotten some real answers!

Welcome to the board!

Welcome!! This forum is amazing and these people have been a major source of help and encouragement for me. You're in the right place! ;)

I am so sorry for your long struggle to get diagnosed properly. I can relate. Many of us went for YEARS-- as you did--trying to figure out what was going wrong inside us. And yes, you are NOT crazy, hon--although at times, most of us felt that way, too.

Hopefully, your other conditions will improve or diminish and your diabetes be more controlled--as you begin the gluten free life!

They are all connected to celiac disease. Read a lot and stick to the diet and you're going to start to feel better....hang in there!!Best wishes!

Welcome! It took me a long time to find this place too, but I am feeling way better now that I am on board with gluten free. I hope you find the same relief and fast! You will be surprised at all the little things that clear up or go away when you are strictly gluten free. Glad you are here and look forward to hearing of your progress.

Thanks everyone! I have been compliant to the diet for a whole week, and hopefully I'm not screwing anything up lol. It really is easier than I thought at first, I thought I was going to have to give up everything that I loved. I have discovered that isn't so, as a matter of fact I made fried chicken with gravy tonight using BRM gluten-free Flour and I couldn't tell a bit of difference.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board. If you are on any meds at all make sure you check with the maker to be sure they are gluten free. Since celiac can cause depression and anxiety you may eventually find you are able to forgo meds, if you take them. Do not suddenly stop any without the doctors knowledge though.

Some of us find a really happy painfree person hiding behind the gluten, hopefully you will be one also.

Read as much as you can here and ask any questions you need to. There can be ups and downs at first but hang in there.

Thanks everyone! I have been compliant to the diet for a whole week, and hopefully I'm not screwing anything up lol. It really is easier than I thought at first, I thought I was going to have to give up everything that I loved. I have discovered that isn't so, as a matter of fact I made fried chicken with gravy tonight using BRM gluten-free Flour and I couldn't tell a bit of difference.

That is brilliant! It took me 6 weeks to figure out there was no reason I couldn't use gluten free flour for frying chicken. Now I make my chicken strips every week! See! You really aren't crazy...your creativity is already back! Nice work. Can you PM me how you make gravy? Silly question and I can google it too, but do you use broth or milk? and what fat? I wanna try it.