bonnie blue

A Source Of Gluten We Didn't Think About

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed with Celiac in September of last year, felt pretty darn good for awhile, then in December started feeling worse then before, after many, many, tests the doctors here could find nothing, they basically told me it was in my head and wrote me off. And then finally we found a good GI doctor about 100 miles away who was willing to listen, he asked of course the obvious question, "Is your home gluten free?" and we said yes, of course. Then he asked where we worked, and my husband said that he worked at McCain foods,( a plant that makes onion rings, breaded cheese sticks, etc..) he said ok thats probably why she is still getting sick. Don't get me wrong my husband never hugged me or even got close to me with his work clothes on and we even washed them separate from the other laundry. But the doctor told us from now on he needs to change his clothes before he comes home and to come in the back door and take his shower before he has any contact with me. Also he changed my meds did a full blood work up, saw that my vitamin B12 was low, so I am now taking B12, which has made quite a difference, wow who knew that little pill everyday could do so much!! So I guess to sum it all up gluten is everywhere, even on our husbands! lol. Finally starting to feel good again and just wanted to share my happy ending with all my friends here, have a great day everyone!!!

I got my call September 1st last year and what wake up call that was. Thanks for sharing your story about your husband and his work place. I've been reading more and more about these types of cross contamination and it does make sense just not something we'd think of. :huh:

Oh my goodness, who would've thought! I am so glad you finally found some answers! :D B12 is magic isn't it! When mine gets low I feel like a ballon that's been 90% deflated!

What a celiac savvy doctor you have!!!!!!! If only all of them were as smart as this one is. Glad you were able to figure it out with his help and hope your feeling better soon.

I am impressed! What a fantastic doctor!!!

I was telling my doctor about how I react badly in the bread isle in the grocery store (which is where the gluten-free section is...the idiots) and as I am talking, my doc starts having a severe allergic reaction to me!! My mind was racing, trying to figure out what he was allergic to. I could totally tell he was suffering. So I asked if he was allergic to cats....he said yes, and I said I have cats and had held them before coming in. I told him we could open the exam room door for fresh air. He was very happy about that, and could not stop apologizing!! And, he got better after we let the air in.

The reason I told this story, is because it's no different than your husband coming home wearing gluten! Except your problem is Celiac versus allergy.....

It makes perfect sense!!!! I'm glad you found this gem of a doctor!