This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Numb Tongue

MelindaLee

MelindaLee Contributor

My tongue has been numb since Saturday. Not total numbness-can't move it, it wouldn't hurt if I bit it kind of numbness; but more like if you spray cloroseptic on your tongue kind of numbness. Here is my train of thought: When I am exposed to gluten, I get atypical silent migrains. My left arm, and lips and nose go numb for about 15-20 minutes. Friday I was at the dr for a yearly physical. I was advised to have the DTaP because they are finding a reoccurance of pertussis (whooping cough) and arerecommending this for adult. So, I agreed. The injection site was sore for a couple days (not unusual with the tetanus part of the vaccine), and a welt is still there. Any reason to believe that a injected vaccine could contain gluten? The doctor doesn't think so. These are not typical migraine symptoms for me, and they never last this long. I am waiting for a call from my neurologist...but there are so many intelligent people out here...I thought I would get your thoughts.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

julandjo Explorer

My tongue has been numb since Saturday. Not total numbness-can't move it, it wouldn't hurt if I bit it kind of numbness; but more like if you spray cloroseptic on your tongue kind of numbness. Here is my train of thought: When I am exposed to gluten, I get atypical silent migrains. My left arm, and lips and nose go numb for about 15-20 minutes. Friday I was at the dr for a yearly physical. I was advised to have the DTaP because they are finding a reoccurance of pertussis (whooping cough) and arerecommending this for adult. So, I agreed. The injection site was sore for a couple days (not unusual with the tetanus part of the vaccine), and a welt is still there. Any reason to believe that a injected vaccine could contain gluten? The doctor doesn't think so. These are not typical migraine symptoms for me, and they never last this long. I am waiting for a call from my neurologist...but there are so many intelligent people out here...I thought I would get your thoughts.

Do you by any chance use alcohol-free mouthwash? Crest Pro-Health will do this to people (not to mention it's cross-contaminated by gluten).

• 2 weeks later...
MelindaLee Contributor

Do you by any chance use alcohol-free mouthwash? Crest Pro-Health will do this to people (not to mention it's cross-contaminated by gluten).

Thanks for the idea, but, no, I didn't use mouth wash. I think we have decided that it is a reaction to the vaccine. It has pretty much went away at this point, though I still have some transient numbness in my tongue and gums.

Luddie Newbie

Thanks for the idea, but, no, I didn't use mouth wash. I think we have decided that it is a reaction to the vaccine. It has pretty much went away at this point, though I still have some transient numbness in my tongue and gums.

Wow, it's good that you posted this symptom though. Never know when the information will come in handy!

Archived