JulieBob

Gluten Withdrawal?

Rate this topic

Hi, I'm new here.

I've been gluten-free for about a week now and I've had an on-and-off migraine ever since, and more pain in general (bones and muscles). My mood is also very bad: irritable, impatient, depressed...

Is this normal? Could it be a withdrawal effect?

Thank you,

Julie

Hello and welcome. Yes, it could well be withdrawal. It seems most people go through some kind of withdrawal symptoms for varying periods, generally not more than two to three weeks. Bad headaches are particularly common, as ir irritability. Gluten acts like an opioid on the brain. Once it gets out of your system completely you should come off those feelings.

Agree with mushroom I've been gluten-free for two months and for the first two weeks felt pretty rough. My worst complaints were headaches with pain around my right temple as well as major carb cravings - MAJOR. I was very irritable and cried at anything. Those symptoms disappeared after two weeks. Hang in there! :) You WILL be alright!

Thank you so much for your replies, it helps a lot to know this is a normal reaction!

Julie

First two weeks were very rough and I had a bunch of other bizarre symptoms such as my sinuses completely closed up, headaches (like you), I went to the restroom so many times a day it was like my body was purging everything it had ingested over 40 years, I was tired...I am sure there were many more. You should feel better soon. It's worth it!

Hi, me again!

I wonder if this is partly due to a yeast die-off, since my carb intake is now very low. The symptoms are quite similar to those of Candida albicans die-off (fatigue, brain fog, nausea, headache, sore throat, muscle and joint pain, feeling as if coming down with a flu...).

I just started going gluten free a few days ago. I am much more irritable and frustrated today (day 3). I am usually a laid back easy going person. My stomach actually feels a little worse so far...but I do have more energy so I guess that is a start. Interesting to see how this effects everyone so differently.