Fire Fairy

Is This Depression?

Rate this topic

Several times now when I've gotten glutenated I have had this feeling of being boxed in. I thought it was anxiety but now I'm thinking maybe it is depression. I feel as though I'm trapped and there is nothing that can be done. I can't take a nap and sleep it off because my mind feels very active at these times. It's a sort of mental claustrophobia, at least that is how I'd describe it. The last time it happened I drank a pot (6 cups) of green tea and felt better very quickly.

I'm going in for my 6 month check up soon so I'd like to be able to give this a name when I talk to my Dr.

I would lean more toward anxiety. Either way, it is great that you are aware that you are experiencing this and can describe it. Hopefully, your doctor will be understanding. Regardless of the label you have identified the cause as being glutened. That is the biggie. Good luck with these feelings and staying gluten-free.

• Upvote 1

If it is terrible for you as it is for me, you could ask your Dr. for a low dose of anti-anxiety medication just to get you through that time. If you are not opposed to it. I take .25 mg. just until the gluten anxiety wears off. It is prescribed for just that reason. My Dr. understands it is really bad anxiety, but really temporary so there is no concern about addiction using it at such a low dose and only when needed. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

When you are gluten intolerant it is not uncommon to have brain swelling that puts pressure on the blood flow to certain parts of your brain.

The body knows much. This 'mental claustrophobia' could very well be that your brain is swollen and feels 'claustrophobic'.

I really have no idea how accurate that is but I find that usually we know more than we think we do, our bodies tell us what is wrong when we really listen.

I have that right now so i'm going to go and make green tea and see if it helps all the same :)

• Upvote 1

I have that right now so i'm going to go and make green tea and see if it helps all the same :)

I hope it helped.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will just describe it the same as I did here and hopefully my Dr will understand. It is a very unpleasant feeling and I really want to avoid it. Of course I want to avoid gluten too but sometimes it finds a way through my defenses. I'm learning more everyday though so hopefully I'll get accidental gluten less and less.

There is nothing like a good round of exercise and drinking a lot of water, or, as you noticed, something mildly diuretic like green tea to help get rid of this. At least you will then sleep it off. Keeping busy is better than worrying.

• Upvote 1