This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Just A Warning Concerning gluten-free Pizza

Marc49

Marc49 Explorer

Wow,......my mother that lives in the same county as me found some gluten-free frozen pizza and had me pick it up.

It was a brand called Amy's.

Worst garbage I ever tried to eat. :angry:

I'm sure some will say they love it, but I am putting out the warning for anyone that likes real pizza. There are far better choices, even in the frozen category.

This stuff was plain awful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Wow,......my mother that lives in the same county as me found some gluten-free frozen pizza and had me pick it up.

I'm sure some will say they love it, but I am putting out the warning for anyone that likes real pizza. There are far better choices, even in the frozen category.

I would totally agree....not only just plain awful but expensive, too. It was the first gluten-free prepared food I bought and pretty much the last. I can do a lot better making my own.

love2travel Mentor

Sounds yucky! I really dislike Glutino and Kinnikinnick pizza crusts. Intensely. But I do like the thin crisp Udi crust. Have had some success with my own crust, too.

I would do a lot right now to have true Italian pizza in Italy.

sa1937 Community Regular

Sounds yucky! I really dislike Glutino and Kinnikinnick pizza crusts. Intensely. But I do like the thin crisp Udi crust. Have had some success with my own crust, too.

I haven't yet seen Udi's around here yet, at least at the stores I shop at. Have you tried the crust from Annalise Roberts' Gluten Free Baking Classics? I think it's pretty good.

love2travel Mentor

I haven't yet seen Udi's around here yet, at least at the stores I shop at. Have you tried the crust from Annalise Roberts' Gluten Free Baking Classics? I think it's pretty good.

The Udi's crusts look like flat round discs but I enjoy the texture. But they'd only be of interest to those who like thin crispy crusts! :D

Yes - I've tried that one. It is actually pretty good, isn't it? One of the better ones thus far...

sa1937 Community Regular

The Udi's crusts look like flat round discs but I enjoy the texture. But they'd only be of interest to those who like thin crispy crusts! :D

Yes - I've tried that one. It is actually pretty good, isn't it? One of the better ones thus far...

Yes, definitely good. Next time I'm going to double the recipe and stick one in the freezer. I think my mixer will be happier, too, as only 1-1/2 cups of flour isn't quite enough to work with in a 5-qt. bowl.

love2travel Mentor

Yes, definitely good. Next time I'm going to double the recipe and stick one in the freezer. I think my mixer will be happier, too, as only 1-1/2 cups of flour isn't quite enough to work with in a 5-qt. bowl.

I so agree. I think double will definitely work better. For some strange reason I have a sudden pizza craving!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I so agree. I think double will definitely work better. For some strange reason I have a sudden pizza craving!

And so do I! But too late tonight...it's almost 7 p.m. here. Think I'll plan on it for tomorrow night.

Marc49 Explorer

The only one I have had so far that I actually considered 'edible' was a brand called Conte's I believe. Found it at Publix, but they didn't have any last trip.

You can add some toppings if you want and make it better of course. The crust actually resembled a regular frozen type pizza,.......nothing like the real thing of course, but as before, edible IMHO.

IIRC it was 5 bucks and change.

heatherjane Contributor

I must be one of the oddballs who likes Glutino and Kinnikinnick. I eat a frozen Glutino's pizza as my weekly Friday night treat. Also, one time I made "homemade" pizzas with the kinnikinnick crusts for some gluten-eating friends who came over, and we all loved them. I'm not much of a from-scratch baker, though, and have grown accustomed to eating weird stuff. :P

love2travel Mentor

I must be one of the oddballs who likes Glutino and Kinnikinnick. I eat a frozen Glutino's pizza as my weekly Friday night treat. Also, one time I made "homemade" pizzas with the kinnikinnick crusts for some gluten-eating friends who came over, and we all loved them. I'm not much of a from-scratch baker, though, and have grown accustomed to eating weird stuff. :P

It's good that you like it - we all need our treats, that is for sure. One reason I do not is that I have been spoiled over the years with authentic pizza in Europe and nothing will compare. Even regular gluten pizza doesn't! So, I confess my pickiness. ;) I also love using my hands and making everything I can - it's stress relieving and enjoyable to me. The act of cooking and baking is one of the things I love most about life! :D

heatherjane Contributor

It's good that you like it - we all need our treats, that is for sure. One reason I do not is that I have been spoiled over the years with authentic pizza in Europe and nothing will compare. Even regular gluten pizza doesn't! So, I confess my pickiness. ;) I also love using my hands and making everything I can - it's stress relieving and enjoyable to me. The act of cooking and baking is one of the things I love most about life! :D

That's awesome! I guess the longer I've been doing this, the more I've forgotten how "great" the gluten stuff was and I've adapted my taste buds to certain things. :rolleyes: I am hoping one day soon to get a stand mixer, though, so I'm sure I'll end up just as picky once I actually start making my own bread. :)

love2travel Mentor

That's awesome! I guess the longer I've been doing this, the more I've forgotten how "great" the gluten stuff was and I've adapted my taste buds to certain things. :rolleyes: I am hoping one day soon to get a stand mixer, though, so I'm sure I'll end up just as picky once I actually start making my own bread. :)

Being such an avid baker and cook I remember the gluten stuff so very well. :(

A stand mixer will make all the difference in your baking, especially gluten free. I could not do without mine, that is for certain. Many recipes just could not be done without one.

Am using my pasta maker far less often now, though - it's so sad. Fresh gluten-free pasta just is not the same but I am determined to get there one day! :P

Truleesmom Apprentice

Just tried Venice Bakery's gluten free pizza dough! It is amazing! So amazing, that I had to call the company just to confirm that I wasn't accidentally sent their gluten containing pizza crusts. They assured me it was indeed gluten free. I cannot express how wonderful this crust is!!! And fairly affordable compared to other gluten free crusts that don't taste nearly as good. $45.00 for a pack of 18 5" crusts. They also make larger sizes - looking forward to trying those next! Also, just noticed on their website (that is the only way to purchase this crust) that they now have free shipping with a minimum purchase. Wish they had that when I ordered! Oh well -- guess I'll have to buy more. It's so good -- I'm trying to think of other ways to use the crust instead of just the traditional pizza. Please post if you have any non-traditional pizza ideas. Think I'll try a breakfast pizza! Mmmmmmmmm! Not sure if I'm allowed to post a website -- but just google Venice Bakery gluten free pizza crust.

Marc49 Explorer

Yes,....you are allowed to post links to products here, as long as YOU are not trying to sell something personally.

I know because a mod said so on one of my posts!

I googled the name but all of the links came up as page not found.

Maybe they are having a problem today.

Edit: now the links are working!

I see they are a sponsor here also, as I just saw an ad flash across my screen.

The pricing is crazy for all of this stuff though. Even buying 10 (12") crusts at one time you are looking at 7 bucks each! That is with nothing on it yet.

I got one of the sample ones from Dad's that I have not tried yet.

The more I see, the more I know I am gonna have to become a baker!!! :D

Marc49 Explorer

Well, the previous poster better be right!

I just ordered a 10 pack of 12" crusts after calling them to ask some questions.

The big ones come individually vacuum sealed, and the guy I spoke to said they would be fine in the pantry for a month or two, and 6 to 9 months if frozen.

I can certainly finish off 10 in that time-frame if they are even edible.

This is what I am calling a 'stop-gap' measure to tide me over until I can get a mixer and/or bread machine, and the time to experiment. I am having pizza withdrawal to a huge degree, and even considered 'glutening' myself a couple of nights ago by picking one up!

There is a coupon code out there also for 10% off.

Takala Enthusiast

At home, my husband takes a gluten free tortilla, large, and pre - crisps it in the heated oven.

Then we add toppings to it. Unless he's in one of his territorial moods, then I gracefully retreat from the kitchen. Then the pizza is broiled to finish it.

Makes a super thin, extra crispy crust. B)

Several pizza chains around here (northern CA) now offer gluten free options. Most of them are using a frozen, packaged gluten free crust from Still Riding. The texture is good, considering it is gluten free, they will cook it a certain way so it doesn't get soggy. I've also had pizza crust from 7 Sisters, which recently moved to Sacramento from back east. The co owner is celiac and she can really cook Italian, and they are very good for the thin crust that is east coast style. I've also had good fresh pizza crust from the Mariposa bakery in Oakland.

I've had both the frozen Udi's and Kinnickinnick, and they were okay, but if you're into thin crusts, the tortilla is better and a lot cheaper. I think that it's the extra virgin olive oil that is really the critical ingredient here, with the cheese. ;)

HS7474 Apprentice

I remember trying Amy's pizza once and it was so disappointing! My family was horrified with it. It's a shame because it was one of my first attempts at frozen gluten-free food. Thankfully, I have found one of the yummiest gluten-free pizzas at a restaurant around here for about $8. Also, if you're near an Uno's they have my second favorite crust.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

If you live near a Sprouts store they make a great gluten free pizza. The pizzas are located in the deli area near the cheeses and prepared foods. This pizza is delicious if you cook it right. It has light sauce and some mozzarella cheese (very light). I put it in the toaster oven on bake for 8 minutes I think. When there are just a couple of minutes left I pull it out and add some italian seasoning and some olives. Or just leave it plain. It comes out nice and crispy on the bottom and I love it when the cheese darkens on top.

I have tried several brands of refrigerated/frozen pizza and the Sprouts brand is really the best.

love2travel Mentor

Man, I must admit I'm jealous. There is nowhere even remotely close around here that has gluten-free pizza (or gluten-free food for that matter). Well, ok. Just one. Boston Pizza. Other than that there is absolutely nowhere I can eat out unless we go to the city three hours away. But that's ok - I love to cook and can better avoid CC that way! :)

mbrookes Community Regular

I find that if I heat my pan as the oven preheats and then put the Udi's crust (with toppings) on the hot pan the bottom of the crust gets good and crisp. We are sort of "back water" where I live, so I have to use whatever I can get. I do envy all of you with access to gluten-free bakeries, pizza places and good grocery stores.

Marc49 Explorer

Well if anyone is still reading this thread, I decided to comment on those crusts from Venice Bakery.

I got the 'seasoned' ones in 12" size.

Made the first one last night, and followed what the guy told me to do.

He said to be sure and brush the crust with a light coat of olive oil before putting anything on.

Started with my favorite Roselli's sauce, and added some parmesan/romano, then a layer of Boars Head genoa salami, and another layer of pepperoni. Topped off with my regular bagged cheese blend and into the oven at 475 for 10 to 15 minutes.

I was pleasantly surprised to be honest, and also very glad as I have 9 more of them in the freezer!

Made a nice thin and crisp crust that did not get soggy in the least,.....even after sitting waiting on me to finish it!

Now I am not saying it's like a real NY style pie, but it's the best gluten-free product I have tried to date IMHO. At least I can get my pizza fix taken care of now, and feel like I actually ate a pizza!

Next time I think I will go 450, and watch at 10 minutes until browned just like I like it. Goes right on the oven rack with no pan.

That's my review for what it's worth. :D

maryphyl Newbie

There is an outfit in Phoenix AZ that has been shipping bread to me. Their Seeded Multigrain Bread is truly delicious. They ship it frozen with dry ice. They charge something just over $6 shipping no matter how much you buy but you must buy $30 worth which is a minor pain. I have also been eating their hamburger buns. I tried the donuts and did not care for them. It seems to last almost forever in the freezer. Anyway, if this interests you

Open Original Shared Link

Juliebove Rising Star

I don't mind the Amy's if it is doctored up with enough cheese and seasonings. But... I prefer to make my own on Schar's crust. I start with a really good pizza sauce and use quality cheese. I also use some pizza seasoning and on mine I put pine nuts.

Marc49 Explorer

I don't mind the Amy's if it is doctored up with enough cheese and seasonings. But... I prefer to make my own on Schar's crust. I start with a really good pizza sauce and use quality cheese. I also use some pizza seasoning and on mine I put pine nuts.

Well, if you like Schar's then you should love the Venice Bakery ones.

I tried the Schar's, and while they are edible, they don't come close to these.

Of course that is all in my opinion of course.

Now if you like a thick, chewy crust,......these are not for you.

Archived