Rate this topic

Well, I've been gluten free for almost a month now and things are still pretty shaky. I get nauseous quite a bit but now I've been having horrible headaches. I've tried all kinds of pain relievers but nothing is taking it away. I called my dr and the receptionist said it has nothing to do with going gluten free, but it seems a little funny that they started after I went off of gluten. I've also noticed I've been really irritable also. Not sure if that has anything to do with the gluten or just because I have a constant headache. Has anyone else experienced any of these symptoms? Thank you

I have and it was when I was experiencing severe headaches and took Ibuprofen on a regular basis. It lasted for years until I found out about salicylic acid intolerance or sensitivity. It can cause irritability and constant rebound headaches. If you are allergic to aspirin you will react to Ibuprofen.

You could have withdrawal headaches on eliminating gluten, but I would think those would have resolved by now unless you are getting cross contamination somewhere. That would certainly cause headaches too.

There are some threads on here about SA sensitivity.

Try googling Salicylic Acid sensitivity and see if any of the symptoms match yours. Fruits and vegetables also have salicylates...and if you are ingesting a lot more....could cause headaches in those who are sensitive.

I hardly ever get a headache now since I got rid of gluten and salicylates...and I no longer limit salicylates in fruits and vegetables but had to in the beginning.

Just something to think about, I'm sure you will get other answers.

What kind of headaches are they?

When we went off gluten, and especially when we went totally grain free and added probiotic foods one of the symptoms of candida die off was a bad sinus headache - front of head, face, etc. I also got ear aches with it. My partner got eczema flare-ups as well. When the yeast dies off it's got to get out of your system somehow. We trudged through it to the other side and feel much better.

I've always had migraine auras before going gluten-free, and when we first went off gluten I had the worst migraine auras of my life, as well as flare-ups of every other health problem that's ever plagued me. Now that it's been a few months (and especially after starting the GAPS diet) all those symptoms are long gone. I can not believe how healthy I've been feeling!

I think for me the main thing that caused all the flare-up, headaches, auras, etc was the sugar withdrawal. Removing so much hidden sugar from our diet was hard at first because it was an addiction. But once I got through the withdrawal and through the die-off I've felt much, much better.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks gluten-free, and last week I had my first ever migraine. It lasted for two days. It started again yesterday and I finally took something for it today when I almost passed out at work. My doctor agreed that it's probably from withdrawl and said that it should go away in time...I can't wait. Hope you feel better soon, too.

I'm hoping they go away soon too. It's awful waking up with a headache and then lasting all day and going to bed with it still in full force. What did you take that it went away? My doctor's receptionist said it has nothing to do with it, thats when I went on here and figured I'd check on my own.

I'm hoping they go away soon too. It's awful waking up with a headache and then lasting all day and going to bed with it still in full force. What did you take that it went away? My doctor's receptionist said it has nothing to do with it, thats when I went on here and figured I'd check on my own.

What are you typically eating? Have you deglutened your home? Have you checked all scripts and OTC drugs as well as supplements? Have you eliminated gluten from all your toiletries? I used to get horrible migraines when I was consuming gluten and thankfully they ended once I got rid of every possible source of gluten. They do return full force with even a small amount of CC which is why I asked the questions.

joint.jpg

when im feeling my worst worst worst and the nausea is uncontrollable and the pain is to much and I think I just cant do this anymore, this is what saves me, no joke.

The first one went away after I took a dose of tylenol. Then I found out that Excedrin Migraine was on the Gluten Free Drug List, and that helped a lot with this last one.