This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Type And Food Intolerances

Looking for answers

Looking for answers Contributor

I recently became interested in the Eat Right for Your Blood Type diet after some successes a friend of mine has experienced on it. I got my blood tested and I am A positive blood type.

As you know, once you become gluten free, many of us have ongoing issues with trying to eliminate/figure out other food intolerances. Well, to my surprise, most the stuff on the "do not eat list" I created myself through elimination diet and trial and error were also found the "don't eat" list for the blood type diet.

I also found it interesting that my friend here at work who has celiac and is struggling to regain her health is a Type B. The book says Type Bs are closely linked with autoimmune disorders.

Anyone else have anything to share?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

I recently became interested in the Eat Right for Your Blood Type diet after some successes a friend of mine has experienced on it. I got my blood tested and I am A positive blood type.

As you know, once you become gluten free, many of us have ongoing issues with trying to eliminate/figure out other food intolerances. Well, to my surprise, most the stuff on the "do not eat list" I created myself through elimination diet and trial and error were also found the "don't eat" list for the blood type diet.

I also found it interesting that my friend here at work who has celiac and is struggling to regain her health is a Type B. The book says Type Bs are closely linked with autoimmune disorders.

Anyone else have anything to share?

of course i have something to share- as i am one of the few people on here who finds much truth and value in his research. if it wasnt for finding his diet in 1998, i would be much sicker than i was by the time i finally heard about gluten & celiac.

i find it fascinating that so many on here proclaim him to be a loon, and then proceed to go thru rounds and rounds of elimination diets... what harm could it do (as long as u remain 100% gluten free)- to take a look at his lists??

im a Nonsecretor O+, and Gatherer (genotype).. and 95% of the time- the lists & (proportion recommendations in Live Right for your type) fit me to a T.

for example: (as it relates to discussions on here with common intolerances):

nightshades: potatoes kill me, but tomatoes do not. i avoid the eggplant because of the bloodtype lists.

grains: im ok with basmati rice & quinoa, tho- as a nonsecretor- i feel best if only a few servings a week total. gluten-free oats suit me just fine too. corn wrecks me.

dairy: i eat all the butter i want. and ricotta cheese works for me. the rest messes me up.

fruits: on the genotype- i need to avoid pears, apples, and apple juice (i recently learned the hard way that i cant handle too much fructose). and about 5 years before i found the bloodtype- i learned after many puke sessions that i canNOT do orange juice. ive only had oj maybe twice in the last 15 years.

my brothers follow the bloodtype about 95% and my 21/2 yr old neice is following it about 95% too. they gave her oj months ago- and she touched her stomach and said "boo boo :( "

my best friend and i try to follow it- hmmmm about 75%. my sister semi follows it while being 100% gluten free & mostly dairy free. (the 3 of us indulge in sugar too much).my mom switched from wheat to spelt when i first got into bloodtype.... and my dad eats whatever the f he wants to- even tho i swore he would test positive for celiac. he said his tests were negative- i asked him to request a copy... i still cant believe he's neg :blink:

k, sorry so long, blah blah blah

ps. and im not trying to sell anything.. but his supplements are all great, cause they're allergen free & great quality.

im a little on the fence now with some of his supplements- because there is MUCH MUCH Debate with the online thyroid community as to whether iodine of any type helps or hurts us :/

many of his type O stuff has a lot of Fucus Bladderwrack &/or Potassium Iodide- as it can be very very beneficial especially for type Os... but with my Hashi & graves-im not sure what to do.

i am LIVING on his Connectivar right now- as it is the only thing quieting my hemmohroids.

Jestgar Rising Star

im a Nonsecretor O+, and Gatherer (genotype).. and 95% of the time- the lists & (proportion recommendations in Live Right for your type) fit me to a T.

for example: (as it relates to discussions on here with common intolerances):

nightshades: potatoes kill me, but tomatoes do not. i avoid the eggplant because of the bloodtype lists.

grains: im ok with basmati rice & quinoa, tho- as a nonsecretor- i feel best if only a few servings a week total. gluten-free oats suit me just fine too. corn wrecks me.

dairy: i eat all the butter i want. and ricotta cheese works for me. the rest messes me up.

fruits: on the genotype- i need to avoid pears, apples, and apple juice (i recently learned the hard way that i cant handle too much fructose). and about 5 years before i found the bloodtype- i learned after many puke sessions that i canNOT do orange juice. ive only had oj maybe twice in the last 15 years.

I am also O+

50% of my veggies consist of nightshades.

I avoid most grains (and starches from other sources)

I eat tons of dairy.

I have no problems with any fruit.

I also happily eat avocados and oranges.

Thanks to you both for the responses. I'm just learning about this "diet" and found it fascinating. I wish I would have read about it years ago because I think it provides a nice starting point for elimination diets, once one is gluten-free and is still having problems. I'm going to adhere to it for a few weeks to see if I notice any difference. All in all I'm in great health, I just have ongoing stomach sensitivities that I can't seem to overcome. I wasn't at all surprised to find out I have type A blood - I usually feel very lethargic after eating red meat.

ndw3363 Contributor

I too am A+ - I read some of the book, but wasn't ready to follow the diet. As soon as I saw that I shouldn't be a meat eater, I put the book down (lol). But I've been gluten-free from almost 2 months and I still feel like crap. Guess it's time to dust it off and give it a try. Can't hurt right? :)

kareng Grand Master

I'm an O+. Potatoes are very calming to my stomach.

Avocados and OJ are good for me.

Its an interesting thought but I'm not sure blood type is the whole thing.

cassP Contributor

I too am A+ - I read some of the book, but wasn't ready to follow the diet. As soon as I saw that I shouldn't be a meat eater, I put the book down (lol). But I've been gluten-free from almost 2 months and I still feel like crap. Guess it's time to dust it off and give it a try. Can't hurt right? :)

you could do a big turkey burger :P w/a gluten free bun of course

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ndw3363 Contributor

I love that this topic was brought up - because I've been doing some additional reading today and it's amazing to watch the pieces fall into place. A few months ago (before I learned of the gluten problem), my chiropractor gave me a Hydrochloric Acid supplement to take when eating protein because I was having digestive issues. She said my body wasn't making enough and that was why I had severe stomach pain. Reading about the A+ blood type, it states that we don't make enough hydrochloric acid which is why our type should be vegetarian. I already eat mostly chicken and fish because I digest it better. But now I will just make sure to have those supplements on hand in case I crave a steak!! Giving up potatoes and tomatoes might be a bit tough, but I will certainly cut back and see if that changes anything (or at least be more aware of reactions after eating certain things). I've read that eating home grown tomatoes is easier on the system because they are less acidic. I'm starting a garden this spring/summer - wonder if that applies to any other homegrown veggies vs. store bought (specifically peppers - LOVE peppers!!)

kdonov2 Contributor

Anyone have AB+ blood type and had success with this diet? I am raw-vegan right now but may change my diet if I find I do not feel better after my 6 week trial. I have been gluten free 3 years and still feel like awful, so I have tried out numerous "extreme" diets in the quest for health and happiness.

I've been following the diet for about a week now and can't believe the improvements. I thought I would feel hungry and tired if I didn't consume meat, and I've experienced the opposite. I've only eaten very small amounts of turkey since I started and feel like I have a suge of energy that I haven't felt since going gluten-free. I think it's definitely worth a try for those with lingering issues. BTW, this diet was mentioned on the Dr. Oz show last night and he didn't knock it...he said he can see it making sense for some people and perhaps it helps to explain why some people thrive on carbs while others do poorly on them.

Anyone have AB+ blood type and had success with this diet? I am raw-vegan right now but may change my diet if I find I do not feel better after my 6 week trial. I have been gluten free 3 years and still feel like awful, so I have tried out numerous "extreme" diets in the quest for health and happiness.

The book says that ABs are the most sensitive and have the most delicate immune systems. In fact, your blood line is the youngest of them all...very interesting. I believe the book says it derived from a mutation due to more inter-racial couples or somethign to that effect. Please don't quote me on this one...I can't recall exactly what it said.

The book says that ABs are the most sensitive and have the most delicate immune systems. In fact, your blood line is the youngest of them all...very interesting. I believe the book says it derived from a mutation due to more inter-racial couples or somethign to that effect. Please don't quote me on this one...I can't recall exactly what it said.

Wait, here is what I was trying to say (shows my lack of recall) :rolleyes:

"AB is for Modern. Type AB blood is rare

cassP Contributor

I've been following the diet for about a week now and can't believe the improvements. I thought I would feel hungry and tired if I didn't consume meat, and I've experienced the opposite. I've only eaten very small amounts of turkey since I started and feel like I have a suge of energy that I haven't felt since going gluten-free. I think it's definitely worth a try for those with lingering issues. BTW, this diet was mentioned on the Dr. Oz show last night and he didn't knock it...he said he can see it making sense for some people and perhaps it helps to explain why some people thrive on carbs while others do poorly on them.

over a year ago maybe i listened to the radio show online when Dr. Oz had Dr. D'Adamo on. Dr. Oz was very polite & open minded to the possibilities- but his partner (forgot his name) was a little more closed off. but it was a good show. Dr. Oz is bloodtype O, and i wondered after his colon cancer discovery-> if he should reconsider some of the diet- specifically taking wheat out of his diet. im assuming he DOES he wheat- as he's always advocating a whole grains & somewhat food pyramid diet.

over a year ago maybe i listened to the radio show online when Dr. Oz had Dr. D'Adamo on. Dr. Oz was very polite & open minded to the possibilities- but his partner (forgot his name) was a little more closed off. but it was a good show. Dr. Oz is bloodtype O, and i wondered after his colon cancer discovery-> if he should reconsider some of the diet- specifically taking wheat out of his diet. im assuming he DOES he wheat- as he's always advocating a whole grains & somewhat food pyramid diet.

Good point. He should probably take a closer look at the diet...it could do him some good!

cahill Collaborator

I am AB+ blood type. I have not read the whole book.

When I was at my WORST, food wise, I did get the book from the public library and read the food list for AB's. I can say that the food list made sense to me. There were many things (suggested) that AB's should avoid or consume and I found them to be true for me , to a point.

I do not advocate any type of DIET like that but the book was helpful in that the food list did give me a starting point for my elimination diet and some insight to possible food to avoid .

Cinderella10 Newbie

I just checked this book out from the library, and read it last night. I'm type A.

A lot of stuff resonated with me. I'm already mostly vegetarian anyway, and a lot of the other things made sense, but then some stuff didn't. He recommends that Type A avoid casein (and most dairy), but mentions that a few fermented dairy things are good (??). He also tends to dismiss food allergies out of hand, and I'm not really okay with that. I think there's a lot of gray area when it comes to bodies and food. I do think the general principles of each blood type having unique characteristics makes sense, though, especially since this can be such a major issue with pregnancy.

I just don't know that I'm ready to give up nightshades yet. Getting rid of tomatoes isn't a big issue since I've never really cared for them anyway, but I love potatoes (russet and sweet) and eggplant. We'll see. DH just thinks I should maybe think about emphasizing the "good" stuff instead of focusing on eliminating the "avoid" stuff.

The jury's still out, but I do think it's a good starting point.

A good starting point, I totally agree. I can't eat dairy anyways...causes bags under my eyes and acne...lovely, so that wasn't hard for me. I do eat a lot of tomatoes and red peppers, but what I decided to do is to strictly follow the diet for a month with as little cheating as possible. I'm taking note on how I feel, and then I may try adding back a couple of things to see how I react. Realistically, in the long run, I can only follow the diet 90% of the time because when eating out, it will be hard to completely avoid the do not eat list...we gluten-intolerance folks, first and forth most, have to ensure there's no gluten in our dishes and then worry about the other possible intolerances secondly. Meaning if I'm out and my only gluten-free option contains bell peppers, I'll eat it.

So far so good. In the past I usually feel like a mack truck hits me about 8:30 every night...this last week, I have to force myself to go to sleep by 11 p.m....I just have so much energy. Also, my cravings for sweets and the almighty chocolate are gone.

jackay Enthusiast

I just reserved this book at my library. I'm an A- blood type.

I just reserved this book at my library. I'm an A- blood type.

Cool! Report back if you start the diet and let us know if you notice any difference.

jackay Enthusiast

Cool! Report back if you start the diet and let us know if you notice any difference.

Just picked up the book and started reading through some of it. What I found out so far is that I should eat a lot of soy, which I am intolerant to. Peanuts are another food that I'm not sure I can handle and they are suppose to be good, too.

Cinderella10 Newbie

The dairy is also a non-issue for me since it came up on my allergy testing. The inconsistency, though, made me wonder about the legitimacy.

I'm finding going through his site interesting, because he (thankfully) has figured a few things out in the last 15 years. I'm going to start 'leaning in the direction' of the diet and see how it goes. :)

cassP Contributor

The dairy is also a non-issue for me since it came up on my allergy testing. The inconsistency, though, made me wonder about the legitimacy.

I'm finding going through his site interesting, because he (thankfully) has figured a few things out in the last 15 years. I'm going to start 'leaning in the direction' of the diet and see how it goes. :)

it helps to read the whole book, and not just the lists- it will make more sense- so you can be the director of your own individual journey. he even says i think to read it with the same open mindedness & skepticism that brought you to it in the first place. there ARE "inconsistencies" especially when the lists seem to change in the Live Right book, and the Genotype book. but even explains this- because in the first book- the diet is only broken up into 4 different groups (per bloodtype)- but there are MANY MANY MANY additional differences involved with our bloodtype AND genes.

for example- im an O, i first followed the diet in "EAT RIGHT", and felt pretty good. after getting the 2nd book and taking the saliva test- i had to alter the diet again- because i am a NONsecretor. then after dx with Celiac, Hashi, & Graves- ive altered even more. this doesnt negate the bloodtype relation- it only means that most of us on here with our genetic dispositions are in even smaller subsets or groups. we're special ;)

cahill Collaborator
we're special ;)

yes we are :D

cO-ol Explorer

I've wondered about this myself.

I'm Type A+. I do know that green beans are very agreeable for me, and that other beans don't cause any issues others have reported (not even gas! ...and I'm prone to gassiness). I've also had issues with meat, though not consistently. Potatoes don't do me much good, but I love 'em too much. :P I might have to take a look at the book though; I've still been having issues.

• 3 weeks later...
shadowicewolf Proficient

I'm AB- (yey for rare blood types) and have noticed no food allergies besides red food coloring (which is that even a food?) and Celiacs. My mother is also AB- and has problems with greenbell peppers (slight stomach issues nothing bad). But outside of that, nothing :)

Archived