This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

School Bans Homemade Lunches

Jestgar

Jestgar Rising Star

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

MY kids lunches from home were healthier than the school ones. They bought juice or milk at school or brought a juice from home. The comment on the lunches packed for field trips is silly. That was the only day our school allowed soda. Field trip lunches are always a bit more "fun".

mommida Enthusiast

Did you see the brown slop on that tray? I wouldn't eat that even if someone told me it was gluten free.

What a load of crap!!? This principal better wake up and realize that she is working for the PUBLIC school system and what the majority of the public wants is what they will get. She should be FIRED! The school has overstepped the line. Kids with food allergies will be more obvious trying to blend in with their peers. Paying over $2 a school day for lunch for your student(s) is a waste of money (as per the picture I don't think many kids are even going to eat it).

srall Contributor

I heard this on the radio this morning. This is absurd. Absurd! First of all the way our lives are right now, given my daughter's age and health concerns, there is no way in HELL I'd let anybody else feed her. The risk is too great. But even if she were in perfect health without food issues, if it was a choice between what I packed her and the school lunch that's being provided, there is still no way. The school lunch choices here are atrocious. I'm bending over backwards, making feeding my family almost a full time job to make sure we eat organic, whole foods and there is no way I'd let her eat that preserved slop. And the main issue really is this: Taking this choice away from the parents in a public school won't fly.

kareng Grand Master

If this happened here, I bet most of the pediatricians would write notes for the kids. If you told them they brought PB&J on whole grain bread, grapes or apple, baked Lays & a mini candy bar & bought milk, I think most docs would be pleased with that meal.

Told my hub. He remembers when the grade school has the parents to Thanksgiving lunch. He said it doesn't matter what you give them, they pick at the turkey, eat the roll, some eat the mashed potatoes and almost none eat the salad or overcooked green beans.

School lunches can be a blessing for those that want or need them. I wish they were a bit better tasting.

modiddly16 Enthusiast

There's just no way I'd be ok with the school telling me what my child can eat. More than half of the kids in our district are on free lunch as it is, so you're going to force people who pack lunches to save money to pay the $3 or whatever it is everyday for slop? Honestly, unless there is a good chef behind the school lunches, theres no chance that mystery meat is better for my child then what I pack!

Takala Enthusiast

Their excuse was that on field trips some of the kids were bringing a soda and a junk snack instead of something else, or that they were buying junk food from the convenience stores on the way to school. Well, duh ! They're kids. What do you expect them to do ? They like sugar, candy, and junk! And fat ! Especially if they didn't get a high protein breakfast! They run around and burn it off! They were actually trying to tell the stores not to sell the snacks during commuting hours, either.

A lot of these kids are minority children who are going to develop lactose intolerance at an earlier age than some other ethnicities. This means when they are told to drink milk anyway, because it is supposed to be "good" for them, per the USDA and the dairy support industry lobbyists, it makes them feel ill and bloated afterwards. Well, duh! So they're buying sodas to fill themselves up. They have to drink something !

Our moronic government wonks actually did a study panel a year or two ago, sponsored by the dairy lobby and USDA, on the puzzle of why so many children/teens seemed to be having IBS issues, when consuming dairy, I wish I had saved the link. I read thru the transcripts and it was like something out of a Monty Python sketch for the Idiot's Convention. They had doctors, milk industry experts, school lunch experts, menu designers, dieticians, the whole nine yards. The kids just weren't drinking enough milk for them at school. The premise was therefore they should be encouraged to drink more milk, so they get the nourishment. They noticed the IBS factor, but they were sure that if milk was just served in gradually increasing amounts, milk in schools would become more popular.

I mean, how stupid can "experts" get ? It never occurred to them that there could be an actual, PHYSICAL REASON for some children/teens to not want to drink milk. Non lactose alternatives, such as cheese or yogurt substitutes, were not mentioned as alternatives. Water was not mentioned, juice was not mentioned, By Golly, Children Should Drink Milk At School.

And I say this as a person who has enough Northern European in me that I did not start developing lactose intolerance until I was around 40 years old, and it was probably connected to undiagnosed gluten intolerance. My part Irish/German ancestry spouse can still drink milk and he's in his fifties. But hey, guess what ? Just because I could swill the stuff down in school, doesn't mean my friends could !

Morons!

What did I do for lunches in high school ? I was packing my own already. The last thing I would want to risk before afternoon sports practice is getting sick from a school lunch !!! Bleah! :ph34r:

Sports practice ? Why yes, this was back in the ancient days of yore, where we also had GYM classes, OUTDOOR RECESS, TEAM SPORTS, and a school bus to take us home after practice..... nowadays, in the state I'm in, NOBODY walks because it is too dangerous, there are no sidewalks, no gym classes, limited sports (cutbacks, $$$) and no school busses and many kids get driven to schools which are far away. Gee, they're not getting any exercise, could this affect what size they're puffing up to ? Better make them drink milk. That should fix it all !

If you really want to see a total bunch of ****, check out this "USDA CALLS FOR STRICT NEW GUIDELINES FOR SCHOOL LUNCHES" 1/13/2011

link here: Open Original Shared Link

It's like a roadmap for making children with any potential for lactose intolerance or gluten intolerance swear off of school lunches for good.

By coincidence, it just happens to be pushing the fake meme that starchy foods must all be automatically bad, and grain foods must be automatically good ! So fewer evil peas, corn, potatoes, and more grains!

Which type of food is more heavily subsidized by the Federal government's agricultural farm programs, and which type of food is being targeted by the GMO industry for more manipulation ?

Oh, and one of the comments under that story was:

JBL8199 Posted on January 13, 2011 at 10:10am

You know they probably got some kind of law in the works to prevent kids from bringing their own lunches. It’s only a matter of time before that happens.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived