leighbra

Brown Rice Flour

Rate this topic

I have finally embraced the Gluten-Free lifestyle and went out and bought $30 worth of Baking ingredients. The only brown rice flour I could find was Arrowhead Mills and not extra fine. I haven't tried my banana mufins yet, but am woried they will be too gritty.

Where can you find the extra fine kind? Whole Foods? Tried Asian market and only had extra fine white flour. Can I use it?

Thanks

I have finally embraced the Gluten-Free lifestyle and went out and bought $30 worth of Baking ingredients. The only brown rice flour I could find was Arrowhead Mills and not extra fine. I haven't tried my banana mufins yet, but am woried they will be too gritty.

Where can you find the extra fine kind? Whole Foods? Tried Asian market and only had extra fine white flour. Can I use it?

Thanks

In one of my cookbooks (don't remember which one), it was suggested to give the brown rice flour a whirl in a blender to make it finer. I bought a coffee grinder (Mr. Coffee), which has 3 different grind settings and has a slightly larger capacity than my Krups, so I used that. I think I can do about 1/2 cup at a time.

We don't have Whole Foods here so I don't know what they carry...am sure it's far more than I can get locally.

I love love love the Authentic Food$$$$ Fine Ground Brown Rice Flour . . . but boy i$ it pricey. If you go on their web $ite, you can do a $earch for local $tore$ that $ell their product in order to avoid the helaciou$ $hipping charge$. I've never $een it at Whole Food$ but that doe$n't mean that it'$ not at the one near you. I don't have a grit problem with their product.

I also do not have a grittiness problem with the white rice flour that I get at the Asian Markets and it is way cheaper. I have had grittiness problems with what ever I bought at Whole Foods the first time I tried cooking with rice flour. It was Bob's Red Mill but I can't recall if it was Brown or White rice flour.

You can certainly sub white rice flour for brown rice flour . . . in the beginning it's all just one big experiment anyway. :P