MommaNerd

New Mommy Of 2 Kids With Possible Celiac

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. I am a mommy who just discovered that my two kids (Connor 4, Logan 18M) might possibly have celiac. After having a long discussion with a friend of mine whose child does have celiac, and after much research, I am fairly sure that both of my boys have celiac disease. My son Logan hasn't been gaining weight very well since he born. He is 18 months old, and doesn't even weigh 20 lbs yet. After tons of dr's visits, blood work, ultrasounds and everything else you can think of, there is no diagnosis on why he is so tiny. He has every symptom that I have read that is a possible leader to celiac disease. I started him on a gluten free diet today, and the kid is a different person. Much less whiney, diaper rash (that he has had since he was about 6 months old) has subsided, more energy and a different person. I think we have found a solution!

I have one quick question. Can I take any old recipe for bread and substitute gluten free flour for all purpose flour? Living on a strict budget, bread takes up most of that budget and I would like to be able to make my own bread. If I can't use the same recipe, any suggestions on where I can find free recipes?

Thanks Everyone!!

For bread, not so much. There was a buckwheat bread on here last fall that was very popular; it also made white bread with rice flour instead of buckwheat flour. I may have copied the recipe somewhere if you want it. (Message me). Otherwise, blogs may be your best bet. IrishDaveyBoy on here has one with lots of recipes, and I'm sure there are others.

Pancakes, waffles, muffins, cakes, cookies etc usually work with gluten free flour mixes. The cheapest option if you'll be baking a lot is to make your own mix though.

Or eat rice. And potatoes. Or corn tortillas. Which I what I do.

This is an awesome site for gluten-free recipes. This person is amazing in creating new recipes all the time. Here is a bread take she claims to be her all-time favorite. The secret ingredient is sorghum flour.

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2009/02/delicious-gluten-free-bread.html

It would be worth getting a bread machines as well. This site recommends this one as it has a gluten-free cycle.

http://www.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/Breadman-TR875-2-Pound-Breadmaker-Stainless/dp/B000FZZ0VE?ie=UTF8&tag=recipfromaglu-20&link_code=btl&camp=213689&creative=392969

There is also a great brea-dmix, if you are looking for a quicker solution.

http://astore.(Company Name Removed - They Spammed This Forum and are Banned)/recipfromaglu-20/detail/B000DZFMEQ

Oops...I am seeing that some of the links did not come across. The recipe website is glutenfreegoddess.com. She has links to for the breadmachine and the bread mix as well.