finlayson

La Tortilla Gluten Free Wraps

Rate this topic

La Tortilla Factory produce Dark Teff Wraps and Ivory Teff Wraps and they are both gluten free. The company also manufactures wheat wraps so I e-mailed them to ask if the gluten free wraps were made in a dedicated gluten free facility. I will attach their very prompt (2 hours) reply. They look like they know what they are doing, and my question is: how many people would trust the cleaning practices where wheat is involved? Would you eat these wraps?

Their reply:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting La Tortilla Factory. First off, we are randomly inspected by GFCO (Gluten Free Certification Organization) who certifies our manufacturing plant as a Gluten Free manufacturing facility. We

"we randomly test the product up to 20ppm (parts per million) to ensure that the wraps really are Gluten Free"

Many celiacs can't do 20ppm, it's too much for them (and still technically causes damage to the rest of us). But at least they're honest about what their standards are.

That said, it does look like they go to great lengths to make sure everything's clean. I think it depends on your level of sensitivity. Many won't risk it because they don't even eat products made in the same building as gluten products.

I react to Teff flour but I don't think its a gluten thing! I tried these and they upset my stomach and I'm not very sensitive to cross contamination. I've had Teff a few times and had the same result. 20 ppm is the industry standard I'm learning...sometimes its just a trial and error thing to see how you react!

Thanks for the replies. My problem (if that's the right way to phrase it) is that I'm a silent celiac. I've been gluten free for two years now and am super careful because I can't tell if I'm eating anything with gluten in. I really wanted people to tell me to go ahead and eat these because they are perfectly safe! We all want the easy way sometimes! It looks like I'll be avoiding these :(. Pity.

Thanks for the replies. My problem (if that's the right way to phrase it) is that I'm a silent celiac. I've been gluten free for two years now and am super careful because I can't tell if I'm eating anything with gluten in. I really wanted people to tell me to go ahead and eat these because they are perfectly safe! We all want the easy way sometimes! It looks like I'll be avoiding these :(. Pity.

I am very sensitive to CC but I would risk trying these. It sounds like their procedures are good and they are well aware of CC risks.

Thanks for the responses. I wonder if anyone who is super sensitive has tried these already and had no reaction to them. They do sound interesting and I would love to try them. Thanks, Ravenglass, for your reply, it does help.