This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Machine, Bread Maker?

Simona19

Simona19 Collaborator

Hi!

I would like to buy a bread maker, but I don't even know what should I look for. Which brand is better? Is better to buy mashine for one loaf or two? Is there any specification that is good to have?

Please help.

My husband went on gluten free diet. I have been buying for myself Udi's bread so far. One loaf was enough for me for two-three weeks. It's just three days and he ate two loafs by himself. He works as electritian and he can't take something cooked for lunch. He takes bread. Hm.. I need to do something. I tried to bake breads from mixes, but they were :blink::blink::blink:

I ate them, or made my special cake from bread that I created from regular bread prior to going on casein and gluten free diet, but he don't like texture and told me up front that, if I like him to go on gluten free diet, I would better find good bread for him.

Or can somebody give me a very good recepy for bread? Something like Udi's - soft? Please...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't have a bread machine but debated buying one or a KitchenAid stand mixer (the mixer won). I was seriously looking at the Zojirushi, which has gotten pretty good reviews. Hopefully you'll get some responses from people who use bread machines.

I'm still searching for that perfect bread recipe and in the meantime I keep experimenting (and keep a loaf of Udi's in the freezer). Have you tried Rudi's bread...slices are much larger than Udi's and some people prefer it.

Simona19 Collaborator

I don't have a bread machine but debated buying one or a KitchenAid stand mixer (the mixer won). I was seriously looking at the Zojirushi, which has gotten pretty good reviews. Hopefully you'll get some responses from people who use bread machines.

I'm still searching for that perfect bread recipe and in the meantime I keep experimenting (and keep a loaf of Udi's in the freezer). Have you tried Rudi's bread...slices are much larger than Udi's and some people prefer it.

My husband's co-worker told my husband that his wife is using a bread machine and the Pamela's bread mix and the bread is soft and very good. Is this the truth? Is the Pamela's bread mix the best bread mix?

I didn't see the Rudi's bread yet. I don't know which store sells that.

Yesterday I made cake for my husband. It was horrible. I had home one box of the Betty Crocker gluten free brownie mix. I don't like very sweet mixes and I had idea to add a half of Bob's bread mix and one egg to improve it. Don't do that!!!!!

On the top of crust I put soy pudding, cooked coconut, peaches and whip cream. It looked perfect, but the taste was horrible. My husband took one slice in his mouth and spitted right out. The crust was :blink::blink: He told me that if I will feed him like this, he would be skinny in three weeks. We scraped the top of the cake and rest went to garbage.

I have one recipe with the Bob's bread mix for a perfect and fluffy cake which isn't very sweet. I will bake it tomorrow and post it later. I need to transfer all measuremetns from spoons to cups because I'm baking just by memory.

sa1937 Community Regular

My husband's co-worker told my husband that his wife is using a bread machine and the Pamela's bread mix and the bread is soft and very good. Is this the truth? Is the Pamela's bread mix the best bread mix?

I didn't see the Rudi's bread yet. I don't know which store sells that.

Yesterday I made cake for my husband. It was horrible. I had home one box of the Betty Crocker gluten free brownie mix. I don't like very sweet mixes and I had idea to add a half of Bob's bread mix and one egg to improve it. Don't to that!!!!!

On the top of crust I put soy pudding, cooked coconut, peaches and whip cream. It looked perfect, but the taste was horrible. My husband took one slice in his mouth and spitted right out. The crust was :blink::blink: He told me that if I will feed him like this, he would be skinny in three weeks. We scraped the top of the cake and rest went to garbage.

I have one recipe with the Bob's bread mix for a perfect and fluffy cake which isn't very sweet. I will bake it tomorrow and post it later. I need to transfer all measuremetns from spoons to cups because I'm baking just by memory.

I've never used Pamela's bread mix so can't comment on it. I have only tried Bob's and didn't like it at all. I usually bake breads from scratch (still searching for that elusive 'perfect' recipe).

I have used a few Betty Crocker mixes (I don't bake desserts very often)...the last time I made Lemon Lover's Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream Frosting. I've also used the brownie mix and just throw in extra chocolate chips. If you go to Open Original Shared Link, do a search for gluten-free and it'll bring up a lot of recipes.

One product I really do like is Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix. I have a loaf of banana bread using it that's cooling right now. There are a lot of recipes on the website Open Original Shared Link

Gluten-free baking is really tricky and I wouldn't generally feel comfortable winging it. There are a lot of blogs that have gluten-free recipes, too. Hope your future endeavors are more successful!

ShelleP Newbie

I'm watching this string of posts because I too am thinking of buying a bread machine. The first investment I made was the KitchenAid mixer, which was well worth it. home made breads are so much better than anything you can buy in the store. My biggest problem with doing myself is the rising time. Sometimes it takes 1 hour, sometimes it takes 1.5. Then 30 more minutes to bake. It's hard for me a working mom to be tied to the house for that long. The bread machine (I have one for normal bread) runs without me even being home. I'm curious if anyone has done both the home made method and the bread machine and what the difference in the end product is. A Gluten Free Bread machine is quite expensive. I'm willing to save the money in order to save my time, but the quality of the finished product needs to be close to what I can do in the oven myself.

ShelleP Newbie

Oh and try adding semisweet mini chocolate chips to your brownie and your cake mix. It helps with the "dry" factor and the taste.

• 4 months later...
sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Hands down the most perfect bread mix is Gluten Free Pantry Basic Sandwich bread. It is a regular loaf of white bread, not weird and not crumbly. It doesn't fall apart and it makes great sandwiches without toasting and other nonsense to get it taste good. I also love their pizza crust. It says to let it rise half an hour but at my house it takes an hour to rise properly.

I've been making my gluten free bread with my Kitchen Aid for over a year and a half now and I want a bread maker, but every thread I go to keeps talking about bread recipes or saying people don't use them.

Yes it is much easier to make gluten free bread than it is to make regular because you don't knead it but it's still work and a messy clean up of my mixer. I want a bread maker so I dont' have to do all of that. So if anybody has a bread machine recommendation, let's hear it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived