WinterSong

Can I Use Xanthan Gum Instead Of Guar Gum?

Rate this topic

I'm looking at a bread recipe right now that calls for 1.5 tsp xanthan gum and 1 tsp guar gum. I've read other topics where people say that they sometimes use whichever one their preference is in any given recipe. I only have xanthan gum right now. Can I just use 2.5 tsp xanthan gum and forget about the guar gum?

Thanks!

Personally I'd be tempted to try it...but then I'm into experimentation. Just curious...what kind of bread are you making?

Millet Yeast Bread from "1000 Gluten Free Recipes" by Carol Fenster. It looks pretty good and uses a lot of the more nutritious gluten-free flours.

I'm new to gluten-free baking, and it's so annoying to have to buy all of these different kinds of flours.

That sounds good. I like millet. I don't have that cookbook but some of the cookbooks I do have include suggestions at the front explaining ingredients/substitutions, etc.

I know buying different flours gets to be expensive but it's so much fun to experiment. :D Let us know how the bread turns out. Bread is definitely my biggest challenge but generally speaking, it's usually edible. lol