Neali

Glutamine And Probiotics

Rate this topic

hello,

I am new, I came a while ago, am a mum to a child who I was suspecting was having problem with gluten, and who has been tested since for allergies and the results came back with a high response to gluten amongst other things (it was the level of IGG -?- that was measured).

Our doctor recommended trying glutamine and some probiotics.

I wanted to know if some of you have been treated with that, what you thought, how you felt...

I have read (wikipedia) that glutamine, although used in treating some cancer patient, can also feed some cancerous cells - dilemna!

And on the probiotics (wiki again) that it can cause problems with some patients suffering from pancreatic problems... (we have an history of pancreatic cancer in my family) - dilemna again.

Since I read a lot more and learnt more, but there seems to be so much about, it is like it is never ending, so much still needs to be researched. It is also for us, relatively recent discovery this last year and 1/2, before I/we was/were almost totally ignorant to the difficulties encountered by celiac sufferers. - ignorance is bliss! ...but can lead to serious damage :-(

Aline

And on the probiotics (wiki again) that it can cause problems with some patients suffering from pancreatic problems... (we have an history of pancreatic cancer in my family) - dilemna again.

I hadn't heard up until now that probiotics can be bad for someone with pancreatic problems. Right now I'm doctoring to try to figure out if my pancreas is working properly. I think I'll quit my probiotics for a while and see if I notice any improvement.

Neither L-glutamine nor probiotics will prevent intestinal and other physical damage from ingesting gluten if someone is gluten intolerant. The best treatment for gluten intolerance is abstaining from gluten. However L-glutamine may help heal celiac damage after gluten abstinence.

However, I took L-glutamine to heal my stomach after I was diagnosed with H. Pylori bacteria and had obvious symptoms of stomach lining damage and possibly small ulcers. (I took Mastic Gum to kill the HP bacteria.) Before L-glutamine, I couldn't tolerate any acidic or spicy foods (or supplemental betaine hydrochloride). After 3 months on L-glutamine I had no stomach sensitivity (that's stomach, not intestinal, because I still have my 7 food allergies/intolerances). I could eat very spicy or acidic foods and even tolerate supplemental betaine hydrochloride, which I take because I was diagnosed with hypochloridia by Heidelberg Capsule Test.

I've taken probiotics since I was first diagnosed with intestinal infections. Over a 4 year period I had (was diagnosed with and treated for) 5 different bacteria, candida and 2 different parasites infections. However taking supplemental HCl did more to prevent new infections that just repopulating my gut with good bacteria. Nevertheless, since I've taken a probiotic with 50 billion live cells (good bacteria) 1-2x daily, I've never had another gut infection.