Mom to M&M

Experiences With Mrs. Leeper's Pasta?

Rate this topic

We are currently awaiting results of both a celiac blood test and an IgG panel for food sensitivities for my son (22 months): http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/food_allergy_igg.asp

In the meantime, I've taken my DS off gluten and started seeing some results (less congestion, less explosive diapers, slightly better appetite) so I plan to continue regardless.

BUT he's a picky eater. And only likes to eat with his hands. Won't use a fork at all, even if I stab the bites for him, will only allow a spoon for yogurt, applesauce, soup or gluten-free oats. He used to really like mini-pinwheel pasta with either cheese or bolognese sauce. I've tried both quinoa pasta and Tinkyada pasta now but they feel too mushy/slimy on his hands and he won't taste them.

Have any of you tried this pasta from Mrs. Leepers? Looks like it might be a similar replacement for his wheels? http://www.glutenfreemall.com/catalog/leepers-organic-rice-just-kids-glutenfree-pasta-p-1257.html

How is the taste/texture of Mrs. Leepers in general? Is there another pasta I should be considering for him also or instead? Would corn pasta like Sam Mills be less mushy and more appealing to the touch for him?

TIA!

I've used the Tri Color Mrs. Leeper's pasta multiple times for a cold pasta salad. It works great as long as you don't overcook it. Then it gets really mushy and gross. It goes from looking nowhere near done to very mushy in a quick time frame. You have to really watch it. If you don't cook it too long, it's great!

I use Mrs. Leepers alphabet pasta for soup. I haven't tried any others. We don't generally like rice based pastas in our house. We LOVE the Sam Mills it is all we will eat! I find it is more firm and my gluten eating husband likes the texture and taste. Even cooked properly we find the rice pastas to mushy and slimy.