joej1

Overeating/cravings

Rate this topic

Hey guys,

I'm about 3 months off gluten right now and on a fairly low carb diet. Basically no grains and trying to limit high carb veggies like potatoes. Since going off gluten i have had some cravings mainly for fat. Things like nut butters, coconut butter, bacon, basically any high calorie food. I always end up overeating these things when i eat them. My guess is that my body is just craving calories as i have been under my ideal weight for quite some time now. I don't think this has to do with bacterial infections because i do not crave sugar or carbs. Has anybody else had similar experiences? Do they level off after awhile? I think my case was pretty severe so i know i haven't fully healed yet.

-Joe

Hey guys,

I always end up overeating these things when i eat them. My guess is that my body is just craving calories as i have been under my ideal weight for quite some time now. -Joe

Hi Joe, This is not unusual. If you are concerned about overeating what you might want to try is making only the amount you feel is appropriate and filling out the meal with fruits and veggies. Your body is craving not just calories but also nutrients like vitamins and protein so do make those meals as balanced as you can. This should resolve in time and many of us have had the same experience.

Thanks, i appreciate it. Yea i feel like my body is almost more worried about the vitamins and minerals than it is with the calories at this point. I seem to feel my best when I am eating lots of high nutrient food that is not necessarily that high in calories. Almost like my body just wants the most basic things to start rebuilding

Since you have cut out carbs from grains and starchy veggies, you have really cut your calories. You need the fat calories for satiation and all the good fatty acids they contain. Check this out about fat in your diet at Mark's Daily Apple. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/ The whole site is very informative. Good luck and check out avacados.

Well yea my body wants fats but i don't think i am able to absorb them in large quantities right now. Carbs from root veggies and sweet potatoes usually make me feel pretty good and i think i absorb them better. Its easy to get plenty of carbs without grains if you use the root veggies and squashes. I don't eat white potatoes either. My main problem is that my body is craving things that it can't necessarily absorb very well right now.