sreese68

Best Store-Bought Kids' Snacks? Nuggets?

Rate this topic

My neurologist suspects I may be gluten intolerant, so I'm going gluten-free for at least 3 months. My 12yo has agreed that it would be a good idea for her to try it, too. She gets migraines and is super sensitive to sounds, smells, and touch (hence the picky eating). Oh, and she remembers EVERYTHING she reads, but in the time it takes for her to get down the stairs, she can't remember the task I just told her to do! (think absent-minded professor)

Since she's so picky I was hoping to get some input on what brands are tastier than others. My 2 of my 3 boys would probably eat what she doesn't, but I don't want to turn her off to gluten-free food the first time she tries it. Anyway, I have access to Whole Foods and Sprouts, which helps. Is it Bell and Evans chicken nuggets that are supposed to be so good? Any kid-friendly crackers? Most I've seen seem to fit adult tastes more. Graham cracker equivalent? Decent cookies (vanilla or chocolate)? Any brands that I should avoid?

I've already discovered Pamela's Pancake mix, Rice Chex, and gluten-free Snyder's pretzels which she'll try starting tomorrow.

Thanks so much for any input!!

Sharon

My neurologist suspects I may be gluten intolerant, so I'm going gluten-free for at least 3 months. My 12yo has agreed that it would be a good idea for her to try it, too. She gets migraines and is super sensitive to sounds, smells, and touch (hence the picky eating). Oh, and she remembers EVERYTHING she reads, but in the time it takes for her to get down the stairs, she can't remember the task I just told her to do! (think absent-minded professor)

Since she's so picky I was hoping to get some input on what brands are tastier than others. My 2 of my 3 boys would probably eat what she doesn't, but I don't want to turn her off to gluten-free food the first time she tries it. Anyway, I have access to Whole Foods and Sprouts, which helps. Is it Bell and Evans chicken nuggets that are supposed to be so good? Any kid-friendly crackers? Most I've seen seem to fit adult tastes more. Graham cracker equivalent? Decent cookies (vanilla or chocolate)? Any brands that I should avoid?

I've already discovered Pamela's Pancake mix, Rice Chex, and gluten-free Snyder's pretzels which she'll try starting tomorrow.

Thanks so much for any input!!

Sharon

the vanilla k-kritters are my son's favorite! popchips. annie's snickerdoodle bunnies - those are the snacks we rely on premade, everything else, we make. there's a mix for various baked good, but i can't remember it at the moment.

Yes, Bell and Evans gluten-free are fabulous!

No input on kid friend crackers - eh. We like the glutino table ones - most like saltines. the blue diamond ones aren't horrible either. graham crackers - kinnickinnick - pretty decent! they make and animal cracker and graham cracker that are decent too - a little "make you cough" but decent. They have good donuts too ;) Cookies - i like pamuelas mini chocolate chip and the glutino choc wafers and we make a scratch cookie - peanut butter based with choc chips that is easy and fab. The really great food company has an awesome banana bread mix.

Ians has a ton of kid friendly gluten-free too

Here's my 7 yr olds favorites

Bell and Evans = chicken tenders

Ians = Fish sticks

Van's = frozen french toast and waffles

Udi's = bread and bagels

Amy's = Frozen mac and cheese and boxed mac and cheese

Kinnikinnick = frozen donuts, smoreables, animal crackers

Glutino's = "Oreo's" , chocolate wafer cookies

Mo-del = "Oreo's "

Schar = Breadsticks

Pirate booty

Select Zone bars - fudge graham is her fav

Pamela's mix for pancakes and brownies

King Arthur flour = choc cake, muffins and brownies

Ancient harvest quinoa pasta

We tried to do the same thing - go right to the good stuff so my 6 year old doesn't get turned off before we even get started.

We like:

Udi's bread

Knick .....(whatever it is) pizza crusts

Udi's Cinnamon Raisin bagels

Food Should Taste Good Sweet Potato chips

chex cereal

Ancient Grains Quinoa pasta (didn't even notice a difference)

Pamela's baking mix (use it instead of flour in most of my recipes)

Lara bars

Snyders pretzels

I get the frozen cupcakes from Whole Foods and send one to school for birthday parties, etc.

We tried the Ians Chicken nuggest and he DID NOT like them (at all). Haven't tried the other ones yet.

Want to try the white Teff tortillas everyone recommends but we can't seem to find them anywhere.

Have not liked any of the gluten-free products (brownie mix, British muffins, rice tortillas) from Trader Joe's. Could not eat them.

I made homemade chicken nuggets tonight using a combination of crushed rice krispees (the organic kind without the malt), crushed gluten-free pretzels, and crushed potato chips as a coating. They were delicious. Even the gluten-eaters liked them.

Cara

My 6 and 10 year olds like:

gluten-free Betty Crocker: Bisquik mix for wafles and pancakes

Devils food cake

Brownie mix

Yellow cake mix (I add 2 oz of cream cheese to batter)

Kinnikinnick: K toos (like oreos)

Pirate's Booty snacks

Blue Diamond nut thins: cheddar cheese and ranch flavors

AllergyFree foods: chicken tenderloins

Udi's: white sandwich bread, multigrain bread and plain bagles

Chex Cereal: All gluten free varietes (we like to make snack mixes)

Fruity pebbles

Blue diamond almonds

Ocean spray craisens: all flavors

Pretzels: glutino, ener G, and snyders

Lays Stax

Homemade "rice crispy" treats made with kraft marshmallows and gluten free crisped rice

Cheese sticks

Applesauce cups

fruit cups

Pamela's chunky chocolate chunk cookies

Yoplait: gogurt and regular yogurt

Jello

Mission tortilla chips/salsa

Sam's Mill corn pasta (no one including myself likes any of the rice pasta brands)

Amy's box mac-n-cheese

Rice Cakes: Quaker lightly salted (we use nutella, peanut butter, melt cheese/pepperoni on them or put what ever sounds good on them) or Lundberg

Caprisun drink pouches

I'm sure there is more, but this is what comes to the top of my head. My boys love fresh fruit/veggies and also eat cottage cheese. We make most of our meals from scratch and really try to have a good variety. I make stuff up ahead and freeze it so they can grab something quick or if I need something for a school function.

Just want to add that Pamala's Baking & Pancake Mix makes awesome banana bread. I buy it by the case on the subscribe-and-save from Amazon. Just got a case of 6 bags yesterday for $25.89, which brings the cost down considerably. Even my gluten-eating friends like it.

I forgot - my 4 year old has an envirokid bar a day practically - he likes them all but especially the one withe penguin which has fruit stuff and rice krispie stuff

we make a lot of rice chexie treats and do them plain or with pb or chocolate chips

Fish sticks - blue horizon wild make FAB ones

Just want to give everyone a BIG THANK YOU!! I'm copying and pasting everything into my grocery list, so I can check them all out. I have enough food for today, so I'm going to Whole Foods tomorrow when my husband is home and can stay with my younger kids.

I forgot to mention that I'm on a FODMAP elimination (fructose, lactose, soy, etc) diet as well as gluten-free, so I can't test out most of these products myself before I hand them over to my daughter. Another reason why y'all's answers are so appreciated!

One other thought, Whole Foods will give you a gluten-free tour of the supermarket which can be quite helpful. Just ask at customer service. I think some other grocery stores do this too. You can also go to customer service and they'll help you figure out if somehing is gluten-free.

My daughter like Ian's chicken nuggets the best. (but hates the tenders)

She also likes Conte ravioli.

Annie's gluten-free mac and cheese