homesteader

gluten-free Matzo Recipe

Rate this topic

Does anyone have a good gluten-free matzo recipe made from scratch? I have found several from mixes, but I need one from basic flours. On hand, I have brown and white rice flours, as well as tapioca, white bean, and sorghum flours, some gluten-free rolled oats I could grind, and xanthan gum. So far, the only mixtures I've come up with have turned out as hard as concrete. I'd sure appreciate any suggestions for lighter, crisp crackers for Passover.

Thanks in advance!

Hard as concrete probably too much xanthan gum and baked too long.

Try this:

Gluten Free Bay, Gluten Free Matzo (potato starch and almond based)

http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2007/03/mission-possible-gluten-free-mock-matzo.html

If you don't have almond meal, it is very easy and fast to grind up almonds in the blender, about a 1/4 cup at a time. Potato starch is usually easy to find in stores. The flax seed and almond combo is one that does not need gum for this application. If you don't have flax, you could try subbing the white bean flour, however, you may want to add about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon of pure apple cider vinegar or lemon juice for the acid, to help it stick together. Amaranth is another gluten free flour that takes less gum, as is buckwheat. (kasha can be ground at home easily to make buckwheat meal).

Hard as concrete probably too much xanthan gum and baked too long.

Try this:

Gluten Free Bay, Gluten Free Matzo (potato starch and almond based)

http://glutenfreebay.blogspot.com/2007/03/mission-possible-gluten-free-mock-matzo.html

If you don't have almond meal, it is very easy and fast to grind up almonds in the blender, about a 1/4 cup at a time. Potato starch is usually easy to find in stores. The flax seed and almond combo is one that does not need gum for this application. If you don't have flax, you could try subbing the white bean flour, however, you may want to add about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon of pure apple cider vinegar or lemon juice for the acid, to help it stick together. Amaranth is another gluten free flour that takes less gum, as is buckwheat. (kasha can be ground at home easily to make buckwheat meal).

Thank you very much for the tips. I'm gradually learning how to bake gluten-free. I will try that. I'm in the bush, so I don't have access to any grocery stores. The last few times I was in town over the last year or so I was unable to find potato starch. There's even a new gluten-free store, but they didn't have it, either. I will try grinding some almonds, and also the white bean flour with vinegar. Thanks!