This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

#*($&, $@#(*&!

thleensd

thleensd Enthusiast

SO frustrated right now. I don't eat out, I try to buy trusted brands, I rarely buy gluten-free processed foods... and I don't know if it's gluten or something else, but I feel miserable right now. My dad ate all of the same things I did, so I know it's not food poisoning.

I was craving Indian Food today, so I looked up some recipes and we cooked chickpeas and rice. I've eaten (frequently!) everything that went into that meal except for cumin seed (I usually buy it already ground) and cardamom seed (which I didn't eat, just left the whole pods in to soak then removed them.

About 45 minutes after I ate, I had doubling-over cramps and an unpleasant session sitting atop the porcelain throne. I know it was lunch because upon examination of the evidence, the chickpeas were definitely a part. How the heck can my whole lunch get through my system THAT FAST!?

All of the spices I used were either McCormick single spices or from thespicehouse.com (they have a good gluten policy).

I soaked the chickpeas all night, then cooked them today. Could they get contaminated? They were arrowhead mills...the site lists them as gluten-free... but the little gluten free triangle is not on the package.

I hate the not-knowing part of this. And now I have to toss a GIANT YUMMY pot of chana masala and huge pan of AMAZING spiced rice because I don't know what caused the problem. :angry:

I don't think any of you can solve this (ooh, maybe we have a psychic on board, that would be awesome!), but I needed to rant to the understanding masses. Now I will go make some ginger tea and cry into it. Why is there no crying emoticon? *sigh*

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Oh, I'm so sorry you can't eat all that good food.

I have been there and it is no fun.

Sorry, I'm not the psychic about why or how one gets glutened.

Sounds like you are super careful.

Maybe it isn't gluten but inability to digest those foods??

Just thinkin out loud.

AzizaRivers Apprentice

I don't know how spicy exactly you made it, but have you eaten anything that spicy recently? Indian food of any kind will do that to my boyfriend and he has no issues with gluten. Some people just can't handle the spice. Any chance it was that? Or maybe your healing gut at least couldn't handle it quite yet?

thleensd Enthusiast

I didn't even make it very spicy... and ALL of the spices and ingredients (except the two I listed) I eat on a regular basis, often in higher quantities.

The only thing I've found so far is that cardamom can be a diuretic... but I didn't even eat any... just let a couple pods soak and removed them (like bay leaves). For the time being, I'll eliminate cardamom and hope it wasn't a gluten thing.

I'm still going to pout, though.

Edit: And my whole house still smells SO yummy. pfffft.

cassP Contributor

im sorry that i cant relate at all with the speed of gastric emptying... i never had that with gluten.. my D with lactose intolerance was kind of sudden- but things never passed thru me that quickly (except when i had salmonella).

BUT- i CAN say- that 75% of the time i canNOT eat Chickpeas at all- they will give me painful cramping. SOMETIMES i can survive a little hummus- but regular chickpeas NEVER

Monklady123 Collaborator

im sorry that i cant relate at all with the speed of gastric emptying... i never had that with gluten.. my D with lactose intolerance was kind of sudden- but things never passed thru me that quickly (except when i had salmonella).

BUT- i CAN say- that 75% of the time i canNOT eat Chickpeas at all- they will give me painful cramping. SOMETIMES i can survive a little hummus- but regular chickpeas NEVER

Now this is interesting, because I recently bought something called "spicy chick peas" from Trader Joe's. I don't think they specifically said "gluten free" but there were no gluten ingredients, and I'm usually fine with things like that. Well, not with these! Pretty definite gluten symptoms. Or so I thought. Maybe it was just because of the chick peas? Is there something in them that "mimics" gluten? I eat hummus just fine though, so I don't know...

Well, for the OP, I'm sorry that happened. The meal sounds absolutely yummy. At least your dad can eat it.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Since it was all things that you usually eat, which one was from a new container? CC can happen anywhere. Maybe there was something in with the cumin seeds since you usually eat those ground. Was there anything else from a new container?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thleensd Enthusiast

Wow, that's really interesting.... I'm not sure I've eaten whole chickpeas before (that is, in my "new life" ...since Diagnosis). I didn't even consider that since I eat hummus frequently. Now I'm trying to remember if I have. I eat beans nearly every day... and am fine with lentils. Can you eat beans? I've been ok with Hummus, but don't eat too much at once. My gut is still pretty sensitive, though (after two years! ugh!). If I eat too many nuts or sunflower seeds I get cramps.

I'm still cranky and "off" from yesterday though. Maybe I should make a t-shirt for these days ("speak to me at your own risk" or something).

black list: cardamom pods, cumin seeds, whole chickpeas.... <_<

cassP Contributor

Wow, that's really interesting.... I'm not sure I've eaten whole chickpeas before (that is, in my "new life" ...since Diagnosis). I didn't even consider that since I eat hummus frequently. Now I'm trying to remember if I have. I eat beans nearly every day... and am fine with lentils. Can you eat beans? I've been ok with Hummus, but don't eat too much at once. My gut is still pretty sensitive, though (after two years! ugh!). If I eat too many nuts or sunflower seeds I get cramps.

I'm still cranky and "off" from yesterday though. Maybe I should make a t-shirt for these days ("speak to me at your own risk" or something).

black list: cardamom pods, cumin seeds, whole chickpeas.... <_<

most beans wreck me completely... and legumes (including peanuts) wreck me too-> id say the pain is sometimes worse than gluten big time. im assuming i can do a little hummus cause the chickpeas have been pulverized- maybe when some of these foods are blended to smithereens-> maybe it renders some of the proteins easier to digest.

but u know we're all different. if beans & legumes dont bother u, than you might be completely okay with chickpeas.

Archived