thleensd

Whole Millet And Buckwheat

Rate this topic

I went shopping with the intent of buying millet flour... they didn't have any, but I walked out with Buckwheat Groats and Millet.

I have no idea what to do with them! :lol:

Ideas??

Well, hum. Yesterday I saw a box of hot buckwheat cereal at Whole Foods beside of Rice & Shine when I bought it and thought about trying the buckwheat cereal but didn't.

Would be interested to read comments from other posters on this subject, as well.

This is what I've been doing with buckwheat lately. I put the groats in a mesh bag and wash them and then leave them in a colander to sprout for about 4 days. Then I whisk a couple of eggs and stir the sprouted buckwheat around in that, then brown on the stove. It's good plain or mixed with some veggies. Even my picky eater son likes it.

I grind the buckwheat, I like the toasted flavor. It only takes a heaping tablespoon for a flatbread mix.

My husband teases me about the way I'm doing it, because I'm using the kitchen mortar/pestle, even after buying a little coffee grinder for it, but I broke my hand a few years ago and have had a bit of a time with working up to regular grip strength again. I can say that after a winter of buckwheat flatbreads, I have good news and bad news - hand is definitely stronger. Hips are definitely more padded. :lol:

The millet, I have cooked for a bit in the microwave with water, then added to bread recipes as a whole garnishment along with other seeds and nuts, like poppyseeds. Do not put uncooked millet into bread dough, or you will risk breaking a tooth after it's baked. :ph34r:

I use millet in pilafs-- sautee in oil/butter with or without herbs, spices, aromatics like onion until slightly toasted then add water or broth and cook until tender. A simple one pot meal is that millet in thyme and garlic with chopped carrots, yellow squash, and some tuna. Millet is also a good substitute for cous cous and tastes great with peanut sauce.

Is it whole buckwheat or kasha? If it's whole buckwheat, toast it and use the way you would rice in East Asian food. If it's kasha, just cook it like you would quinoa. Buckwheat is one of my favorites for breakfast with fruit and spices. For dinner, I like it with cabbage and onions, maybe an egg or some lamb.