This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can't Believe I Glutened My Son :(

hockeymomofceliacchild

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

As a busy mom of three and working full time I have been doing my best with this new diet. I've been getting frustrated that my husband is not taking more of a stand and helping more.

However, after a very busy day at work, setting up a display at our local Maple syrup festival, rushing to pick up the kids and get them to the festival to ride the rides I figured Heck we'll just grab something to eat at the carnival....DUHHHHHH!!!!

I can't believe it, I have been so careful with everything he eats and I order a family size fry and onion rings and say "here ya go kids,eat before you go on anymore rides"

Me not paying attention he grabs an onion ring and I hear my husband yell "drop it, don't put that in your mouth!" lol oh dear, thankfully hubby was paying attention but I still had stupidly let him eat CC'd fries too. I didn't let him have anymore once I clued in. But another parent appoligized profusely for letting him eat some more fries later...what could I say, I had done the same thing. :(

Thankfully he doesn't get sick or d from it but I'd best get the ichy cream out again....

No advice needed except "pay more attention" lol but has anyone else gapped it like this and rolled into old habits with out even thinking?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Darn210 Enthusiast

It happens . . . we've been at it for four years and it just happened on Spring Break. Hubby let my daughter eat Rice Krispies at the hotel breakfast spread. He even read the ingredients as well as my daughter. They were concentrating on finding "Wheat, Rye, Barley, or Oats" that they missed "Malt". It didn't help that I had told my daughter a while back that Kelloggs was working on a gluten free Rice Krispies product. Thankfully, it wasn't a bad reaction (short-term tummy ache).

A year and a half ago, I glutened her big time (taking weeks to recover) by repeatedly giving her chips that had barley in the flavoring . . . I had quit reading the label because these were the chips that we always got . . . or so I thought.

I feel the guilt and my daughter feels the pain. Even though it's a learning moment for me, I also turn it into a learning moment for my daughter. She's got to do this all by herself eventually and she's old enough to learn from my mistakes.

charliesmom Rookie

I accidentally gave my kid a whopper (the candy) the other day - DUH! Mid bite I yelled "Stop!" I just blanked completely.

Neali Rookie

yes happened to us too... (and surely risks to happen again) Even though we are careful and constantly worrying :-(

We been following diet free from last spring, since it has been really confusing because of knowing what to identify as containing gluten, and also because of doing blood test we had to re-include gluten products in,so at the end she didn't know if it was ok or not, when and what.

she is 5 1/2 and turns out that she also reacts strongly to soya - lecithin of soya almost in every candies too, and chocolate too... Friends, maybe do not understand and try to tempt her, sometimes she tells me they force candies in her mouth as a game when she refuses.

She usually get upset stomach and diarrhoea, and eczema looking like burns on the inside of arms, behind legs (used to be so bad and painful, all around her face, bleeding behind ears... etc)

We do not know for sure she has coeliac, we did IGG tests and it came back same results as coeliac with other stuff like soya, garlic, eggs whites and yeast as big offenders.

It makes it awkward to say the least to avoid everything and try to live and eat normally LOL, but we are coping :-)

Doing mistakes, trying again, learning all the time and spending 3x more time shopping as we read and double read all ingredients :-D out loud to her, to get her to understand what she can have and what she can't.

We also follow the same diet as her, as support and respect.

Her little sister is being tested for the same, and I won't be surprised the results will turn out to be similar, so good she is already going lots of stuff free.

hockeymomofceliacchild Rookie

yes happened to us too... (and surely risks to happen again) Even though we are careful and constantly worrying :-(

We been following diet free from last spring, since it has been really confusing because of knowing what to identify as containing gluten, and also because of doing blood test we had to re-include gluten products in,so at the end she didn't know if it was ok or not, when and what.

she is 5 1/2 and turns out that she also reacts strongly to soya - lecithin of soya almost in every candies too, and chocolate too... Friends, maybe do not understand and try to tempt her, sometimes she tells me they force candies in her mouth as a game when she refuses.

She usually get upset stomach and diarrhoea, and eczema looking like burns on the inside of arms, behind legs (used to be so bad and painful, all around her face, bleeding behind ears... etc)

We do not know for sure she has coeliac, we did IGG tests and it came back same results as coeliac with other stuff like soya, garlic, eggs whites and yeast as big offenders.

It makes it awkward to say the least to avoid everything and try to live and eat normally LOL, but we are coping :-)

Doing mistakes, trying again, learning all the time and spending 3x more time shopping as we read and double read all ingredients :-D out loud to her, to get her to understand what she can have and what she can't.

We also follow the same diet as her, as support and respect.

Her little sister is being tested for the same, and I won't be surprised the results will turn out to be similar, so good she is already going lots of stuff free.

OMG her friends actually force her sometimes!? Kids are mean..hmmm...gonna have to talk to my son on that one.

It is hard to teach them at that age the effects of gluten my son doesnt get the concept that damage is being done on the inside too. He figures he just gets itchy and he says "I don't care" I'm trying to teach him but he sometimes gets sensitive about talking about gluten all the time.

I can definetely relate to the taking 3x longer shopping....I HATE shopping and this is NOT easy for me but I keep reminding myself it is less easy for him. lol

Thanks everyone for your posts, I figured I wasn't the only one to gap it but needed a little reasurrance. :)

Archived