This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Brain Fog

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

(Diagnosed a month ago - gluten free for 3.5 weeks)

I feel like over the last few months I've been having some problems. I often get side-tracked while telling stories and forget my place. Once I stopped talking mid-sentence and couldn't remember what I was talking about. Sometimes I also don't get the order of words right in a sentence (I'll flip the noun/verb and then correct myself), and it causes me to say stupid things. It's not a major issue for me and only happens occasionally, but it's annoying and embarrassing.

I'm thinking that this is what everyone calls brain fog? Or who knows, maybe I'm just a little loopy or tired - but I feel like it's just been happening over the past few months. If it is brain fog, when does it go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

thleensd Enthusiast

(Diagnosed a month ago - gluten free for 3.5 weeks)

I feel like over the last few months I've been having some problems. I often get side-tracked while telling stories and forget my place. Once I stopped talking mid-sentence and couldn't remember what I was talking about. Sometimes I also don't get the order of words right in a sentence (I'll flip the noun/verb and then correct myself), and it causes me to say stupid things. It's not a major issue for me and only happens occasionally, but it's annoying and embarrassing.

I'm thinking that this is what everyone calls brain fog? Or who knows, maybe I'm just a little loopy or tired - but I feel like it's just been happening over the past few months. If it is brain fog, when does it go away?

Yeah... sounds like the brain fog curse. =) I had a case of it for a good couple years before diagnosis (my friends joke about those being my "lost" years, since I can't remember much from that time!). I still have trouble with it, but it's getting SO much better, and I'm "normal" for longer periods of time. I still have moments where I'll just stop mid sentence... "what was I talking about?" Some people find relief right away within weeks... for me it's been two years. Try to take it in stride and allow yourself to find humor in it.

I've also noticed it's worse when I'm tired/haven't eaten in a while. I need to eat much more often now (and if you're low-carb from the lack of gluten I guess that's kind of expected). Or, sometimes it's just one of those days.

Your body working hard - it is in the process of healing... that will throw some things off.

Hang in there.

jebby Enthusiast

I experienced brain fog a lot my first 5 or 6 months of being gluten free, it seemed like it got worse with every "slip up" I made with gluten. I did some reading and found that the neurologic effects of gluten can be attributed to not having enough Vitamin B12. I started taking Vitamin B12 500 mcg per day (this is the usual dose in over the counter supplements) and since then I have not experience brain fog with any of my accidental gluten exposures.

WinterSong Community Regular

Thanks for the advice. I'm looking forward to being a little more clear again.

keithceliac2010 Rookie

Hey Jessica. Sounds like the same type of brainfog that I experienced for many years, except mine was all the time. Almost got fired from work as a result(I am in telephone customer service so when you forget what you are talking about with a customer they are much less forgiving than friends would be-LOL!!) My brain fog subsided within 48-72 hours of going gluten free and after years of walking around in a stupor, I was finally able to process my thoughts and speech again(What a relief-I was scared that I was losing my mind-seriously) When I do get accidentally glutened, the brain fog comes back within a couple hours of ingestion, and can last for a few days. Good luck. Hope the fog lifts soon for you.

Archived