This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened Myself

NateJ

NateJ Contributor

I just started this diet bout 2 months ago now and I went to the store and bough Rudi's bread instead of Udi's and ate the whole loaf over the course of about 1 week.

Do they do that to intentionally confuse me. The breads are right next to each other and I just assumed the Rudi's was gluten free. But its not and every flavor has wheat. It makes sense now because it only cost about 3.50 a loaf compared to the 5.50 a loaf for Udi's.

Frustrated cause I probably just killed my recovery by about another few months. stupid.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

modiddly16 Enthusiast

That's actually not true. Rudi's DOES have a gluten free bread, which has caused some confusion in the celiac world, but it sounds like you didn't mistakenly pick up that one.

Best wishes to a swift recovery!

NateJ Contributor

That's actually not true. Rudi's DOES have a gluten free bread, which has caused some confusion in the celiac world, but it sounds like you didn't mistakenly pick up that one.

Best wishes to a swift recovery!

you know. i was thinking that there must have been because i bought the Rudi's at a gluten free bakery.

So i went to the store yesterday and all the flavors in the freezer had wheat! so i went home to check online

and couldn't find anything conclusive.

I'll probably call the place i bought it from.

I am just confused and plus the name being so close to Udi. I'm not an overly smart person as it is so this

just aggravates me to no end.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Yeah Rudi's company makes both gluten free AND several varieties of wheat. The gluten-free Rudi's has light blue on the bag. All the non-gluten-free are red or yellow I believe. I know because the only store I have ever found the gluten-free Rudi's at stopped carrying it after I only bought one loaf. After several weeks of not finding it, I asked the manager if they could get in more gluten-free Rudi's (I even spelled it for her and pointed out the empty case). She assured me that they would (she even called the supplier for me to make sure they could still get it) and the next week when I went back they had stocked the whole wheat Rudi's (two kinds!) right next to the Udi's. No gluten-free Rudi's ever came back but they kepe that whole wheat piled up...grr....

Hope you feel better soon! Just use this incident to remind you to always, always, always read the ingredients label even if it's in the gluten-free section. I even check ingredients on things labeled gluten-free because some people on here have found products claimign to be "gluten-free" but having wheat or malt int eh ingredients. Also remember that wheat free does NOT equal gluten-free.

kareng Grand Master

Nate, you aren't the only one who has done this. They have gluten-free & regular bread. My 15 yr old son stopped me. He is more careful for me then I am sometimes. :wub:

NateJ Contributor

Yeah Rudi's company makes both gluten free AND several varieties of wheat. The gluten-free Rudi's has light blue on the bag. All the non-gluten-free are red or yellow I believe. I know because the only store I have ever found the gluten-free Rudi's at stopped carrying it after I only bought one loaf. After several weeks of not finding it, I asked the manager if they could get in more gluten-free Rudi's (I even spelled it for her and pointed out the empty case). She assured me that they would (she even called the supplier for me to make sure they could still get it) and the next week when I went back they had stocked the whole wheat Rudi's (two kinds!) right next to the Udi's. No gluten-free Rudi's ever came back but they kepe that whole wheat piled up...grr....

Hope you feel better soon! Just use this incident to remind you to always, always, always read the ingredients label even if it's in the gluten-free section. I even check ingredients on things labeled gluten-free because some people on here have found products claimign to be "gluten-free" but having wheat or malt int eh ingredients. Also remember that wheat free does NOT equal gluten-free.

oh i'm color blind too. I can't see red/yellow/or brown! LOL i think i will just stay away from the Rudi's. It confuses and frightens me now.

:)

Nor-TX Enthusiast

The funny thing is I can't eat the Rudi gluten free bread. I think it has molasses or something that just doesn't sit well. I eat the Katz gluten free bread when I want something sweeter than Udi. I eat Katz for breakfast with sunbutter but use the Udi for sandwiches. Yummo!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NateJ Contributor

The funny thing is I can't eat the Rudi gluten free bread. I think it has molasses or something that just doesn't sit well. I eat the Katz gluten free bread when I want something sweeter than Udi. I eat Katz for breakfast with sunbutter but use the Udi for sandwiches. Yummo!

Udi is very dry to me. but its the only gluten-free bread I have found that doesn't taste horrible.

I keep hearing about the Katz but I have not seen it at any store that I've gone to.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Udi is very dry to me. but its the only gluten-free bread I have found that doesn't taste horrible.

I keep hearing about the Katz but I have not seen it at any store that I've gone to.

I have been ordering it from the website. I believe they are waiving the shipping fee now which was quite high. They are in the north and I am in Dallas.

It is now being carried in Whole Foods I understand although the product is not supposed to be down here until May or June.

You can order a sample pack from their website.

Takala Enthusiast

I picked up a loaf of the Rudi's once at the store, based on a gluten free review, read the label, thought WTF, :o and put it back on the shelf. I know I was at one of two stores which does not strictly segregate the gluten free from regular items, which is beyond annoying. I remember the label color had yellow/red color scheme. I thought, I am totally losing it I cannot remember a brand name. Nope.

It is unusual to have a company make both kinds. Curious as to why a gluten free bakery would sell the glutenoid kind. Everything at Anza has been safe, so has Mariposa's.

There is another take out place up in Auburn that has the wrapped bread and some gluten free items, but the counter clerk was nice but not up and up on cross contamination issues when we checked, and did not know what was in the sandwich fillings.... hello. But they did have pre wrapped bread loaves, from another gluten free place, I think it's Country Kitchen bakery in Davis, that I know is okay from eating there. So I consider it more an outlet than a meal source.

Sometimes you find gluten free items in unexpected places. At the CA coast north of SF there is a little town with a small but very nicely stocked grocery in Pt Reyes, and in among the regular items there will be tucked a gluten free brand of cookies, crackers, pasta, like "we may be in the middle of nowhere, but we remembered you too."

jenngolightly Contributor

I liked Udi's, but it was hit-and-miss. Like you said, sometimes it was quite dry. I don't like Rudi's because it's too light/airy for me. I like substance/weight to my bread. I switched to O

Roda Rising Star

I didn't like Katz. It was moister, but I thought is was eggy tasting and too sweet. It did make good french toast though.

NateJ Contributor

I've just been trying them each one by one, started with the cheapest. I'm still in sticker shock over

some of the gluten-free items. Like the Udi muffins are over 5 a pack. and the bread is over 5.

I spent 65 dollars just on gluten-free stuff and still had to buy all my normal groceries.

I need a raise.

Takala Enthusiast

And you wonder why people learn to bake, at those prices ! :blink:

For the price of 2 pre made commercial items, I can get 2 packages of gluten free flour ingredients and make lots and lots of servings of something that's fresher and better.

sa1937 Community Regular

And you wonder why people learn to bake, at those prices ! :blink:

For the price of 2 pre made commercial items, I can get 2 packages of gluten free flour ingredients and make lots and lots of servings of something that's fresher and better.

Isn't that the truth! I pay $6.19 for a loaf of Udi's bread (and the last loaf was dry and wasn't even very good) and I bought one 4-pack of their yummy double chocolate muffins for $7.19. :ph34r: Yes, they are good but I can do better price-wise. Sheesh, I could bake a dozen muffins for less than that.

It wouldn't take long for a good KitchenAid stand mixer to pay for itself.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

Isn't that the truth! I pay $6.19 for a loaf of Udi's bread (and the last loaf was dry and wasn't even very good) and I bought one 4-pack of their yummy double chocolate muffins for $7.19. :ph34r: Yes, they are good but I can do better price-wise. Sheesh, I could bake a dozen muffins for less than that.

It wouldn't take long for a good KitchenAid stand mixer to pay for itself.

I have bought the Udi muffins - the lemon ones and they are good but just too expensive. Last weekend I made up that recipe on the Betty Crocker site where you use the package of brownie mix and the box of chocolate chip cookie mix and drop alternating spoonfuls and bake. I baked for less time and they were still a little dry (next time I will bake for 9 minutes less) but they are pretty good. I cut them up and froze them in sizes somewhat smaller than the Udi muffins and have taken them out, mw'd and added some dairy free margarine. Actually pretty darn good. Granted it was about 8-10$ in ingredients but I have lots now stored in the freezer for emergencies!

NateJ Contributor

I have bought the Udi muffins - the lemon ones and they are good but just too expensive. Last weekend I made up that recipe on the Betty Crocker site where you use the package of brownie mix and the box of chocolate chip cookie mix and drop alternating spoonfuls and bake. I baked for less time and they were still a little dry (next time I will bake for 9 minutes less) but they are pretty good. I cut them up and froze them in sizes somewhat smaller than the Udi muffins and have taken them out, mw'd and added some dairy free margarine. Actually pretty darn good. Granted it was about 8-10$ in ingredients but I have lots now stored in the freezer for emergencies!

I'm not good and baking or cooking for that matter. I'm learning slowly. I tried some of the make from scratch bread and it was horrible. So I started buying the Udi's after that. I can usually make a loaf last a full week so its not too bad. And I still just buy reg. bread for my kids.

On a the up side the gluten-free Bisquick makes some really good biscuits and pancakes and it wasn't hard to prepare.

Not sure if they would freeze well though. Haven't tried that yet.

sa1937 Community Regular

I'm not good and baking or cooking for that matter. I'm learning slowly. I tried some of the make from scratch bread and it was horrible. So I started buying the Udi's after that. I can usually make a loaf last a full week so its not too bad. And I still just buy reg. bread for my kids.

On a the up side the gluten-free Bisquick makes some really good biscuits and pancakes and it wasn't hard to prepare.

Not sure if they would freeze well though. Haven't tried that yet.

Gluten-free yeast breads are really tricky. I've baked some bricks, too. Can you take leftovers for lunch?

You could try some muffins and quick breads as they're real easy (unlike yeast breads). Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix is one of my staples. I made some pancakes with it over the weekend but decided I'd just as soon use gluten-free Bisquick. Pamela's makes great banana bread.

The gluten-free Bisquick pancakes freeze very well. I layer them between sheets of wax paper and then put them in Ziploc freezer bags. I haven't made biscuits with it though so don't know how those would freeze.

Nor-TX Enthusiast

I love the Kinninneneck (sp?) pancake flour. I make them up like little silver dollar pancakes. They have a sweet vanilla flavor. I don't even use syrup, but instead I use dairy free margarine and sometimes a little gluten-free blueberry preserves. I even freeze them. Yummo! Warm them up in the mw the next day and they taste just as wonderful.

Archived