This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gf Oreo Alternative

Nathansmom

Nathansmom Rookie

My son LOVES Oreo cookies. He is currently being tested for celiac disease. Are there decent oreo alternatives that are both gluten-free and good tasting out there? He loves to share them with his grandfather, and I am planning ahead for an alternative! Thanks.

Jessica

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Now this is the kind of critical question I can help you with....

Glutino makes a cookie called Chocolate O's. Let me know what else your son needs replaced! ;)

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Oh, about the chocolate O's....keep them opened. They're a little hard. Left in the box, with the celophane undone softens them up. (Perfect oreo substitute.) I guess that's stale, actually, but trust me...they were a little too hard when first opened. Little teeth, or loose teeth have a hard time with that.

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Glutano(There is a glutino brand and a glutano brand so its a bit confusing) makes them and so does Midel.

Have not tried the Midel ones but I do like the Glutino ones

frenchiemama Collaborator

I tried the Midel ones, and I didn't really care for them. WAY too sweet.

VydorScope Proficient

Is this what you mean?

Open Original Shared Link

Spelling fo name is a little dif, but prbly same.. just checking :)

Guest nini

We use the Midel wheat free/gluten free "oreo" style cookies... they are yummy and LOOK just like regular oreos

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast
Is this what you mean?

Open Original Shared Link

Spelling fo name is a little dif, but prbly same.. just checking :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yea those are the ones.....there is a glutano brand and glutino brand so it is a bit confusing sometimes

Guest gliX

If you want a chocolate/candy alternative, don't forget that regular hershey bars, plain m&m's, reese's and many other items alike are gluten free. I find them better than the gluten free oreo's.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Vydor, those are the ones we have as well. They are good...just hard unless you let them stay open for a day or two.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I don't like the Chocolate O's at all. I think they taste bad and go stale in like no time. I prefer plain candy bars.

flagbabyds Collaborator

I posted it twice sorry...

VydorScope Proficient

Any stores carry this so I can try some? Paying $10 for a box after shipping is just silly. :D

Jnkmnky Collaborator

I ordered them on line. I actually just about give up with that company. I've asked and asked my local stores to carry them...and they still don't. They actually carry a FEW of the products, but not the products I want like the cookies and those fabulous cereal bars. I've begged. I've asked glutino very nicely to get more of their products in the store and they said it's not their job.... I have to pester the store more. I don't like being bothered to do that with no hope in sight. Glutino's spokesperson sent me an email saying she cannot force a store to carry the products I want and to order them on line. To which I replied I'll never pay shipping for anything from glutino ever again, or request their products in a store ever again simply so that I can pay full price for them. The cereal bars cost $5.99 a box for like 4 or 6.... Plus shipping!! It's robbery. :angry:

gf4life Enthusiast
Paying $10 for a box after shipping is just silly.

I agree! I place regular monthly orders online, and shop at only 2 or 3 locations. (Gluten Solutions, Kinnikinnick, and occasional Ener-G) This cuts down on the shipping, since the more you order the less it costs per item. these places also offer discounts and store "points" that I can redeem as a discount on my order. Another thing I do is place an order with a friend of mine (who is also gluten-free) and we split the cost of shipping. I will NOT purchase one thing and pay full shipping costs. If I want to try something new it will be purchased with my regular monthly order.

I just placed an order with Gluten Solutions today :

Subtotal: $115.66

Shipping Cost: $12.42

Discount: $11.57

So with my discount I end up paying less than a dollar for shipping. And the stuff I ordered was heavy (over 10 lbs). You also get a free bag of pretzels for getting more than 10 items and when you purchase more than 15 items you get an additional $2 off shipping.

~~~~~~~~~

Now as for the Oreo's we have tried both the MiDel and the Glutano Chocolate O's. We prefer the Glutano Chocolate O's. I purchased a case of 6 boxes last time I ordered! The MiDel were way to sweet and not tasty at all. The Glutano ones are hard, but taste much better. They are smaller than an oreo though, and don't look as much like an Oreo as the MiDel. But I am buying them for the taste, NOT the look. I have also tried the Glutafin Zebra Dreams. They taste really good, but are rectangular, not circles. They are a chocolate "oreo style" cookie with cream filling.

God bless,

Mariann

VydorScope Proficient

Mariann,

Thanks.. I'll chek those 2 stores out...

Corrine Rookie

I make my own Oreo cookies from a recipe from Betty Hagman's The Gluten-free Gourmet Makes Dessert. They are fabulous. They are a little time consuming but worth it. My daughter loves them.

VydorScope Proficient
I make my own Oreo cookies from a recipe from Betty Hagman's The Gluten-free Gourmet Makes Dessert.  They are fabulous.  They are a little time consuming but worth it.  My daughter loves them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that recipe advailbe online anyplace?

Archived