gondor

Walkers Crisps Are Not Gluten Free!

Rate this topic

Wow, they are really not being honest at all!

As i have only recently become celiac, i had no idea what i could eat and what i couldnt. My doctor told me walker crisps as long as they werent cheese and onion, and just plain.. were fine!

I did a google search to be on the safe side and at least 5 websites listed them as safe.

I bought a packet but as i saw no gluten free label, i rang up walkers and they said that as of recently, the government guidelines have changed, and they are putting in more gluten now than the safe limit for people with gluten allergy, but because they havent physicaly put in more, its merely the guidelines which have changed, they are under no obligation to announce that they are not gluten free, they just merely take away the gluten free label now.

This is ridiculous though, as many people probably would have eaten them for a long time, and not think twice about them not being gluten free anymore.

To quietly take away the gluten free label, but make no annoncement about their food now in deed being harmful to celiacs, is rather misleading.

Anyway just putting it out there --- all walker crisps are not gluten free anymore

Make sure you are reading the ingredients label and not just looking for "gluten free". Also, keep in mind that information on the internet...even this website...may be outdated. If you are in doubt about a product, contacting the company directly is the best bet.

• Upvote 1

Always so frustrating when this happens, isn't it? There was an issue like that with Walmart last year, where they had foods that had been gluten free, but they DID change their ingredient label. They started to add wheat. No announcement or anything, just that one extra added word on the label. So if you were having an off day and not checking the label, you got sick.

Which is what a lot of people did, of course. <_<

Always so frustrating when this happens, isn't it? There was an issue like that with Walmart last year, where they had foods that had been gluten free, but they DID change their ingredient label. They started to add wheat. No announcement or anything, just that one extra added word on the label. So if you were having an off day and not checking the label, you got sick.

Which is what a lot of people did, of course. <_<

I was irritated with Walmart at first about all that, but I don't think this means that they just started adding wheat to stuff, willy-nilly....they are just more stringent with their labeling now. If they are going to be concerned enough to state that their chocolate syrup may contain anchovies (and what is the real likelihood of that unless it's trace amounts?), then it means they're taking the allergen labeling seriously, and I'm thankful for their diligence. So, it makes me feel better about eating their products that actually state "gluten free". We now have a better ability to make informed decisions when we purchase their products, and I'm ok with that. :)