Janerie

Pacific Natural Foods - "gluten Free?"

Rate this topic

Hi everyone -

I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with Pacific Natural Foods - specifically, their chicken broth? The broth is prominently labeled "gluten free," but we all know what that's worth.

Still, I've wanted to trust it - but the last two times I've made something with the broth (homemade risotto; homemade beef stew), I've reacted almost immediately. My instinct was to blame something else first, but every ingredient I used EXCEPT the broth was fresh and whole. I just read the label and it lists "organic chicken flavor" and "natural chicken flavor," which I suspect may be the culprit(s).

Then again, maybe I'm nuts. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Janerie

I haven't tried their broth, but they have a lot of gluten free soups which I've tried without problem.

They have many gluten-free products. It could be another ingredient. I think that is the one my SIL can eat. She is allergic to mushrooms and many broths have been made with mushroom.

I use it a lot - never had any problems (the chicken broth - get it at Costco).

I can't use it anymore because it has yeast extract or something like that in there and I can no longer have yeast. Maybe you have a candida infection in your gut and are reacting to the yeast?

I've used Pacific Chicken Broth for years and have never had a problem with it, which is not to say you couldn't. Could you be sensitive to one of the ingredients?

Hi everyone -

I'm wondering if anyone has had a bad experience with Pacific Natural Foods - specifically, their chicken broth? The broth is prominently labeled "gluten free," but we all know what that's worth.

Still, I've wanted to trust it - but the last two times I've made something with the broth (homemade risotto; homemade beef stew), I've reacted almost immediately. My instinct was to blame something else first, but every ingredient I used EXCEPT the broth was fresh and whole. I just read the label and it lists "organic chicken flavor" and "natural chicken flavor," which I suspect may be the culprit(s).

Then again, maybe I'm nuts. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Janerie

Their Organic has yeast extract in it. The natural is also gluten free and has no yeast extract. Why they would feel the need to put extra ingredients in their "organic" broth is beyond me but I react to yeast extract (not a gluten thing) so I just buy the Pacific natural if I have to buy broth. Most of the time I make my own broth and have a bunch of containers of it frozen, but when I run out and need some, Pacific Natural is the brand I use. never gotten sick from the non-organic gluten-free stuff.

I have used Pacific broths for a couple of years, too, with no problems.

I've had trouble with their broths and...I think a tomato soup, it was? My daughter has too, but her reaction was milder, and similar to the one that can be caused by a couple of the foods that she can't tolerate, so that was less certain.

shauna

I used to use it a lot, but started having problems as I seemed to get sensitive to lower levels. Now I make my own from pasture raised chicken. It's really easy, overnight in the crock pot. I seem to be sensitive to very low levels of cc.

I've used mostly their cream of chicken and cream of mushroom with no problems. I use Kroger store brand for chicken broth which says gluten free on the label. Cheaper and also no problems.