hsmomof6

Help With Test Results

Rate this topic

Hello everyone, This is my first post here and hoping for some insight. I have been having GI issues for the last 9 months. They have consisted of abdominal pain, gas, diarrhea, constipation, loss of appetite at times, weight loss of 40 pounds from August to February. I also have fatigue, sleep disturbance (waking very early, 4:30 or 5:00, and can't get back to sleep), joint and muscle pain when the GI issues are flared up. I have had a couple of periods within the 9 months when I felt much better, even good, for a few weeks. I have had an upper endoscopy and colonscopy (no biopsy because nothing was seen to warrant one) negative, gall bladder ultrasound & HIDA scan negative, and gastric emptying study negative. My test results for celiac: TTG antibody IGA <3 scale being >8 positive, gliadin antibody IGG <3 scale being >17 positive, gliadin antibody IGA 61 scale being >17 positive, endomysial AB IGA screen negative and lactoferrin, stool, negative.

The NP at the GI office said I am negative for celiac and that the gliadiin IGA being positive indicated an immune problem and to follow up with my PCP. I asked about going gluten-free and she said that would be fine and it may help me. Everything I see on the web links the positive IGA to either gluten sensitivity or celiac. Is there anything else it can indicate? I would love to hear any insight on my results. At this point, I feel like I can't eat anything. I'm actually having trouble swallowing food, my mouth is dry and I just feel like I can't get it down. I'm sure this may be anxiety related to all the discomfort and lack of sleep making me react this way. I really need some answers because I do not want to lose any more weight. I do have a hydrogen breath test tomorrow morning to screen for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth and a CTE of the small bowel on Friday to make sure there are no tumors or anything there.

Thanks for your help!