This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat

WinterSong

WinterSong Community Regular

So I'm really excited to try out a new bread recipe. Originally it called for millet but my sister (who's a baker) said that she prefers using buckwheat instead. So I bought some Bob's Red Mill 100% Buckwheat flour, and when I get home what do I find? Yes it's pure buckwheat, but it's made in the same facility as wheat! I was not a happy camper. I'm going to have to return it tomorrow.

So the buckwheat is out. I'm thinking about trying either Teff or Amaranth instead. Or maybe almond flour because I have a lot of it. Any opinions? Is one more nutritious than the others? I really want to use a flour with a lot of protein.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sb2178 Enthusiast

I'd get buckwheat from pocono. Many people use their products without problems (and it's processed in a dedicated facility). Buckwheat is delicious. But, then, so is teff.

Edit: oops, dedicated "system" so if you're hyper sensitive, call and investigate.

Sisterhood Newbie

So I'm really excited to try out a new bread recipe. Originally it called for millet but my sister (who's a baker) said that she prefers using buckwheat instead. So I bought some Bob's Red Mill 100% Buckwheat flour, and when I get home what do I find? Yes it's pure buckwheat, but it's made in the same facility as wheat! I was not a happy camper. I'm going to have to return it tomorrow.

So the buckwheat is out. I'm thinking about trying either Teff or Amaranth instead. Or maybe almond flour because I have a lot of it. Any opinions? Is one more nutritious than the others? I really want to use a flour with a lot of protein.

Thanks!

Good for you, JessicaNYC for catching that before you ate it. I caught on afterwards. Severe reaction. Unbelievably painful, severe reaction.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

Tanner L
    Newest Member
    Tanner L
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• Tanner L
      I have Celiac and had a bad reaction to the regular cheddar and sour cream Ruffles.  The baked ones in this flavor are apparently marked gluten-free, but watch out for the regular ones.  I wish I would have seen a post like mine, instead of one that was specifically referring to the baked chips from my google search, before I pulled the trigger.  Hopefully some day they'll require gluten disclosure on the ingredients, not just "wheat."  
    • Denise I
      I am trying to find a Celiac Dietician who works with the Celiac Disease Foundation.  They don't have to be located in my area because I can do video visits. Can anyone help with this?
    • trents
      What is a "boots pharmacist"?
    • Nacina
      Well, that's a big question. When he was seeing the nutrition response testing dr. that changed each time we went in. He hasn't been seeing him regularly for theist ten months. When he had a horribly week in March I started him back on the 4 that were suggested to keep him on. Those are: Standard Process Chlorophyll Complex gluten-free, SP A-F Betafood gluten-free, SP Tuna Omega-3 Oil gluten-free, And Advanced Amino Formula. He also takes a one a day from a company called Forvia (multivitamin and mineral) and Probiotic . Recently he had to start Vitamin D as well as he was deficient.  
    • Fluka66
      Thank you again for your reply and comments which I have read carefully as I appreciate any input at this stage. I'm tending to listen to what my body wants me to do, having been in agony for many years any respite has been welcome and avoiding all wheat and lactose has thankfully brought this.  When in pain before I was seen by a number of gynacologists as I had 22 fibroids and had an operation 13 years ago to shrink them . However the pain remained and intensified to the point over the years where I began passing out. I was in and out of a&e during covid when waiting rooms where empty. My present diet is the only thing that's given me any hope for the future. As I say I had never heard of celiac disease before starting so I guess had this not come up in a conversation I would just have carried on. It was the swollen lymph node that sent me to a boots pharmacist who immediately sent me to a&e where a Dr asked questions prescribed antibiotics and then back to my GP. I'm now waiting for my hospital appointment . Hope this answers your question. I found out more about the disease because I googled something I wouldn't normally do, it did shed light on the disease but I also read some things that this disease can do. On good days I actually hope I haven't got this but on further investigation my mother's side of the family all Celtic have had various problems 're stomach pain my poor grandmother cried in pain as did her sister whilst two of her brother's survived WW2 but died from ulcers put down to stress of fighting.  Wishing you well with your recovery.  Many thanks