WinterSong

Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat

Rate this topic

So I'm really excited to try out a new bread recipe. Originally it called for millet but my sister (who's a baker) said that she prefers using buckwheat instead. So I bought some Bob's Red Mill 100% Buckwheat flour, and when I get home what do I find? Yes it's pure buckwheat, but it's made in the same facility as wheat! I was not a happy camper. I'm going to have to return it tomorrow.

So the buckwheat is out. I'm thinking about trying either Teff or Amaranth instead. Or maybe almond flour because I have a lot of it. Any opinions? Is one more nutritious than the others? I really want to use a flour with a lot of protein.

Thanks!

I'd get buckwheat from pocono. Many people use their products without problems (and it's processed in a dedicated facility). Buckwheat is delicious. But, then, so is teff.

Edit: oops, dedicated "system" so if you're hyper sensitive, call and investigate.

So I'm really excited to try out a new bread recipe. Originally it called for millet but my sister (who's a baker) said that she prefers using buckwheat instead. So I bought some Bob's Red Mill 100% Buckwheat flour, and when I get home what do I find? Yes it's pure buckwheat, but it's made in the same facility as wheat! I was not a happy camper. I'm going to have to return it tomorrow.

So the buckwheat is out. I'm thinking about trying either Teff or Amaranth instead. Or maybe almond flour because I have a lot of it. Any opinions? Is one more nutritious than the others? I really want to use a flour with a lot of protein.

Thanks!

Good for you, JessicaNYC for catching that before you ate it. I caught on afterwards. Severe reaction. Unbelievably painful, severe reaction.