Kim69

What Medication Are You On To Help You Cope With You Coeliac Disease (And Related) Symptoms?

Rate this topic

I had undiagnosed depression for about 10 years. And I have been diagnosed with celiac disease for 1 year. I have been on an antidepressant (citalopram) for 2 1/2 years - it really helped me feel normal again.

Since getting diagnosed with celiac disease I have been slowly getting better (ie abdominal pain lessening, no more diarhoea) but I mentioned headaches and neck/shoulder pain to my dr. She suggested I switch to a different AD since it could possibly assist with reducing the pain. So I am on cymbalta

and it really helps me with depression which has been linked to celiac disease. I have been on it 4 weeks now and haven't really noticed much change in pain but it is supposed to help with bone pain, fibromyalgia and lots of other problems. I am interested to see how I go.

As a side note - I think that some people are scared to try an antidepressant because they are afraid of stigma or are afraid it will change their personality or make them dopey. I have had good results and because I believe that my depression is caused by chemical imbalance I am really grateful for the medication.

Loritabs and Zofran for reactions. Lexapro but I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

I also have Hashimotos and Fibromyalgia, and am on Synthroid (for the Hashis) and Neurontin & Naproxen for the fibro. OTC, I take TUMS and Liquid Antacid. I used to be on Prevacid though. I am on some other meds as well b/c I have bipolar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, but those are the meds I am on to help deal with the associated autoimmune issues that I have with Celiac. And they work wonders :)

Not on any at the moment, and I'm very grateful. I managed to cut my gluten down to much lower than 20ppm a day, and that took care of the aches and pains issue, as well as my depression. Mine looks like it's all gluten related, thankfully.

But I'll be honest, I'm really worried about medication in the future. My thyroid was getting worse the last I tested, and thyroid problems run in my family. But the last 4-5 times I tried medication, they all made me very ill. The only prescription meds I took made me so sick I ended up in the ER.

Kind of worried that I"ll need meds in the future and have to make the decision over which will make me sicker: medication or no medication. :(

Not on any at the moment, and I'm very grateful. I managed to cut my gluten down to much lower than 20ppm a day, and that took care of the aches and pains issue, as well as my depression. Mine looks like it's all gluten related, thankfully.

But I'll be honest, I'm really worried about medication in the future. My thyroid was getting worse the last I tested, and thyroid problems run in my family. But the last 4-5 times I tried medication, they all made me very ill. The only prescription meds I took made me so sick I ended up in the ER.

Kind of worried that I"ll need meds in the future and have to make the decision over which will make me sicker: medication or no medication. :(

Hmm. that's why I haven't had my thyroid removed yet. I am concerned about the meds for it not being gluten-free. There is not guarantee they will make gluten-free thyroid meds available.

I know I feel better when I use iodized salt, so my thyroid is still working at least.

Ive been on nadalol for over a year for my headaches. I take gravol for nausea and liquid antacid for the burning pain i get and ive also been on plenty ppi...right now its been nexium for a couple years