RangersFan

Ideas Of Other Things I Need To Do...

Rate this topic

I've been dealing with GI issues for about 3 years. I had a colonoscopy at age 29 and nothing remarkable was found. It took me 3 weeks to 'recover' from the prep they gave me. The doc also did a blood work up and other tests. I did not have a positive blood test for celiac disease. However, it was discovered I have hypothyroidism and I've been on medication for it for almost 2 years. My previous GI doc wrote me off as having IBS but I kept getting worse. My New Year's resolution to eat healthier, i.e. whole grains, backfired tremendously and I was sicker than ever. I went to a new GI doc who said the only thing left to be done was an endoscopy. It was scheduled, but then cancelled due to snow (we're in Texas so any snow is a major event here). I couldn't clear my calendar to get back in for a month, and I just couldn't bear the thought of another 30 miserable days. So I went gluten-free around Valentine's Day 2011.

Most of my symptoms improved quickly. I then noticed dairy was a problem, so I cut that out. I added it back slowly with the addition of Lactaid tablets. Then I stopped the tablets, and now dairy is a problem again, even with the tablets. I've cut it out entirely this past week but I'm still having issues. Because I've not received an official diagnosis of celiac disease, I don't have a doc to go to get help. I don't want to have a $1,500 medical test if I can avoid it.

I have two young (ages 6 and 3) kids and a husband who are not gluten-free. They support me and encourage me, but we have a "divided pantry" with my stuff on two shelves and their stuff everywhere else. After reading a lot on here, I now know I have to get rid of my wooden utensils and buy new cutting boards for myself. What other tips do y'all have for a "mixed" gluten-free/non-gluten-free house? I do have my own toaster, I learned that early on. Any ideas or little tips will be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Rangersfan, BIIGGGGG Welcome!

Well, first off if hubbie's not going gluten free with you, he needs to brush his teeth after eating gluten before he can kiss you. MAJOR Contamination. Need new collander, separate containers as in butter, peanut butter, jellies, mayo, mustard. Check your meds, lotions, shampoos, household pets, either need to take them gluten free or have someone else feed them and if you pet them make sure you wash your hands immiediately after. Wipe the refrigerator handles down, doorhandles, all surfaces. In my opinion with the little ones I would use latex surgical gloves when I fixed their sandwiches. Because with all the gluten flying around i'm sure in the midst of confusion you would forget that you had gluten on your hands and eat something of yours and you would gluten yourself.

That's just a few things I can think of at the moment. Hang in there and hugs to you. I'm sure others will jump on here and give you other suggestions that I havn't thought of.

Txplowgirl

• Upvote 1

If you must have a gluten mixed kitchen, just really try to ban wheat flour. It hangs in the air and the dust lands on everything. It can make you sick by breathing it in and you will be sick cause it sticks to the mucous membranes and you then swallow it. and then the fun begins. If there is any way to ban flour you may be able to manage a mixed kitchen.

• Upvote 1

Welcome, RangersFan! Personally, I'd try to start making a lot of naturally gluten-free meals (fresh meats, fruits, rice and veggies for example). A lot of the things I ate before my diagnosis are things I still eat today. I think I'd totally freak having a mixed kitchen so everything you can do to minimize your risk will be so well worth it.

I agree with eatmeat4good. I'd try everything in my power to ban wheat flour. As far as cereals are concerned, Chex has several varieties that are gluten-free and Post came out with gluten-free Cocoa Pebbles, Fruity Pebbles and I think Cupcake Pebbles (boxes are marked gluten-free). For pancakes, gluten-free Bisquick works well. Merely choosing one brand of chips, for example, over another would be helpful so you could gradually have more things on hand that the whole family could eat.

I am able to use Lactaid milk without a problem. Lactaid tablets never did anything for me. For the past few months I've started adding more cheeses (cheddar, Mozzarella, etc). Breyers makes a lactose-free ice cream, which is the same price as their other ice cream.

You might want to check the Recipe section as there are a lot of good ideas there. And ask a lot of questions you might have...someone is sure to come up with more ideas for you.