detritus

Confirmation

Rate this topic

I diagnosed myself with Celiac's about a year ago, due in large part to the vast amount of information about it on this forum. It's been a rocky gluten-free year, but the health benefits I'm realizing at this point have made it all worth it. I feel SO much better. But of course, with self diagnosis, there's always a tiny bit of doubt, and the skepticism one sees of the faces of family and friends. Well, today my brother sent me an email, telling me that because of my self diagnosis for Celiac's, he took some tests that came back with a strongly positive indication of gluten intolerance. I've suspected that he had "silent Celiacs" because he never had symptoms. My sister, however, has all the same issues that I do, but insists on labeling it "IBS" and says that her IBS diet tells her to eat bread with every meal!!!!

I'm sorry that my brother will have to forego some of his favorite bread recipes, but glad that he can now start healing his body, and avoid future issues. Now if only I can convince my sister to get tested.....

My Dd went gluten free about a month after I did because she has had sever stomach pain since she developed a severe bacterial infection from a ruptured apendix when she was 13 (she is 18 now.) Well the other day she ordered lettuce wraps from PF Changs. She had never eaten there in her pre-gluten free days so she just assumed that the only lettuce wrap they offered were the gluten free ones so she just ordered "lettuce wraps" instead of "gluten free lettuce wraps". She actually had to call in sick the next day she felt so bad so she got her "confirmation" too :)