This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Careful Do I Need To Be?

milkmommy

milkmommy Apprentice

I'm newly diagnOsed with celiac.

This might seem silly but I need to ask

Can I touch gluten products?? For example when I make someone a sandwich or other gluten containing foods??

What about holding my child after she eats with her hands? Or kissing her?

Sorry if it's silly but I want to know how strict I have to be. I want to live a long healthy live and have read gluten could cause cancer if I don't avoid it

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFreeMO Proficient

Not a silly question at all! You can touch gluten but you have to be very careful and wash your hands right after. If I have to touch it, I wear gloves. If I feed my dogs for instance, I use a glove and then I still wash my hands.

Holding hands and kissing sets you up to get glutened. I was glutened a few months ago from my toddler aged neice who was eating crackers and tried to get me to blow her a kiss. She touched my mouth with her cracker crumb covered hands and I got sick. Is there anyway to turn your household into a gluten free zone? If not, it is going to be very difficult to avoid getting glutened.

You have to be very strict and check everything for gluten ingredients. If you make someone a sandwich with gluten bread then the knife that you dipped into the mayo just glutened your mayo. Your cutting board and counter will have gluten all over it. If you wipe the counter with a dish rag and then make yourself something gluten free, you could get sick from the dish rag or the fridge handles. I treat gluten like it's rat poison. If I touch it, wash hands. I don't allow it in my home.

milkmommy Apprentice

Wow. This is going to be difficult ( but worth it)

My husband said he will be partially gluten free to support me and I will limit the gluten products in my home.

Are there any research studies or foundations that outline how careful I have to be. Everyone I talk to including my family don't take me seriously when I tell them.

cap6 Enthusiast

I use the "rat poison" phrase also. Touch if you must but always wash! I bought a new fresh supply of kitchen towels & wash rags as I prefer that to a sponge. I go through a lot as I use & toss in the laundry. Better to be safe than sick.

sb2178 Enthusiast

It takes practice to work with young kids and not accidentally contaminate yourself. I think older kids are easier to brainwash into washing hands and face after eating. The key really is to obsessively wash YOUR hands though. Don't lick spoons, taste pasta, etc.

You might want to have an entirely gluten-free house for at least a few weeks, if not a month or two, just so that you have a good sense of what healthy feels like and get well on the way towards healing. Then, when you introduce more habits, it's easier to tell when/how you erred.

milkmommy Apprentice

Thats really good advice!! I am going to try and make my house gluten free for a while, (as best I can). It wouldnt hurt to try my 2 yr old gluten free anyway based on her symptoms and hopefully my husband remains supportive.

jolie.fleur.peu Newbie

Cancer really? I've never heard that. Where did you here that from?

You have to be very careful where cross contamination is concerned. Teach your family that "double-dipping" in things like spreads is not allowed and be sure to wash your hands if you have to touch something with gluten. On a side note when you go out to eat at places make sure to tell the staff about your celiac's and make sure they understand how important it is to keep your food free of gluten. If in doubt, leave it out :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

Cancer really? I've never heard that. Where did you here that from?

If you stick to a strict gluten-free diet, your risk is vastly diminished. I think a greater risk of cancer would especially apply to those to don't take the diet seriously.

milkmommy Apprentice

Here is a link to a reputable article. It outlines everything about celiac and includes information about causing cancer.

Open Original Shared Link

• 2 weeks later...
NYCCeliacMom Apprentice

I see some time has gone by since you posted. I hope things are going well. It is fine to kiss a gluten-eating person a while after they have eaten. I have heard various time periods quoted, and I am not sure if this has been scientifically tested. If your spouse drinks a beer or eats a gluten sandwich, I would give it some time before kissing. Your 2 year old gets different kinds of kisses, I wouldn't worry too much. On this very forum someone said that huggies unscented baby wipes remove gluten. I always keep some in a plastic bag to wipe off gluten when out and about.

Regarding risk of various celiac-related ailments, I have heard that your risk goes down to that of the normal population after 4 years gluten free.

Here is a link to a reputable article. It outlines everything about celiac and includes information about causing cancer.

Open Original Shared Link

milkmommy Apprentice

Thank you for the information NYCceliacmom!!!!

Archived