Soph&PetersMom

Could Her Reaction To Gluten Change?

Rate this topic

My daughter was diagnosed with Celiac on Dec 23, 2009, she was so sensitive that we were told to remove all gluten from the home. She was having up to 12 bouts a day b4 she was diagnosed and was so very sick. We even had a problem with old toys we brought out for our new baby, we had to clean them all (she had gotten sick about 6 months later and we realized that there was residue from teething cookies). We have slowly brought a little gluten in, especially for our 2 boys since the doc recommended we give them gluten and then test them when they are two. We are very careful with her and she is too, but this past week she was given candy that contained gluten and ate a small portion on two occasions b4 it was checked. She did not have any diarrhea after the fact. We are baffled at this since she had been so sensitive. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Could her reaction change from stomach to something else we need to be aware of? She understands now that unless she asks she has to wait or say No

Yes reactions can change and she also could have more delayed reactions too. Kids especially sometimes seem to go through a stage where it may not give them bad symptoms (but that doesn't mean damage isn't being done) that is why doctors used ot think kids outgrew celiac. Now they know better of course. Sounds like you got lucky this time, but that doesn't mean it won't get her sick next time.

I don't know about the obvious gluten reactions, I do think change is possible. There can be so many other factors involved as well.

I do wonder why your dr would recommend sneaking a little gluten in for the younger siblings. I've tried rewriting the following but it keeps coming out like an attack - I don't mean it that way. I just hope you'll consider the following:

Since the testing measures for *damaged done* why would you value a diagnosis over preventing likely damage? Also, testing is notoriously inaccurate in children, especially if they haven't been consuming very much gluten. It seems like just a little might do subclinical damage. If they get a negative diagnosis at 2 years old, then that sets a precedence for thinking "well, it can't be celiac, since we already tested for that," when/if problems come up in the future.

We tried keeping gluten in for a while for my daughter when we first found out about our son. We gave her 1-2 slices of bread a day. Her blood test was negative but the doctor said we should have been giving her twice as much gluten, and for longer (she'd been gluten-free for a while before we tested), so those results were inconclusive anyway. Her genetics also came back with none of the markers (and she has a different biological father) so we're confident it's not celiac. Now she's gluten-free and that has helped with other issues (concentration, Tourette's). I look back and kick myself for having thought it was a good idea to feed her gluten after realizing it was harmful to her health - diagnosis or not.