Debbie B in MD

Lactose Intolerance

Rate this topic

Okay, I am trying to figure out the intense abdominal pain and D since yesterday. I had ice cream.I have been eating cheese and sour cream since my elimination diet, but no ice cream. I have had pudding and have been fine. My question is... does cooking the milk, as in pudding, affect the lactose reaction. I am not sure if I am lactose intolerant, but haven't been drinking milk or icecream since January. Perhaps I was glutened at my parents, but we thought we were careful. Of course, I was careful, but who knows. Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks. The pain is gone and my tummy is still rumbling. I am trying to prevent any further damage and discomfort.

Since your doing other dairy items with no issues I would suspect CC from your parents home if they aren't gluten free.

Of course that is assuming the ice cream itself is gluten-free.

There can be two different responses to dairy. A simple test a doctor had me do for lactose intolerance Vs. milk allergy was first no dairy products for two weeks. Then try some lactaid milk. If no reaction most likely not allergy (If reaction might be milk allergy) then one week no dairy again then try regular milk. If reaction most likely lactose intolerance.

Some of us, even though intolerant to milk, cream, ice cream, frozen yogurt, can nevertheless eat regular yogurt, sour cream, cheese because the lactose has been mostly digested by cultures and enzymes. I would not try a milk-based sauce, but could eat recipes for cookies which incorporated milk.or milk powder. You might experiment to see what you tolerate.