This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Intol - Self Diagnosed... Any Other Tests I Should Have Done?

Galley Slave

Galley Slave Newbie

Hello all!

I have been on an elimination diet for 1 month (and feeling fabulous) - and today I confirmed what I've been suspecting: gluten intolerence. I had 3 Tbs of high fibre cereal, 1 slice of whole wheat bread: symptoms were feeling of excessive fullness, very slight nauseau, heartburn, flatulence, and fatigue. So it's a gluten free life for me! But that's no big deal and we're coping well under the circumstances. Thankfully chicken, rice, potatoes, bananas and an abundance of fresh veg are freely available. We're in rural southern Thailand and I daren't go to the hospital here. I am however headed over to Penang, Malaysia for a short period and I was wondering if there were any blood tests I should have done just to see if all my "levels" are okay - like my nutrient levels etc? I had a bone density scan 18 months ago (before Gluten intol confirmation), would it be wise to have another to see if there's been a change for the worse? I've been on an iron tablet for the last month, as well as a multi vitamin. A friend with Celiacs recommended I take a calcium supplement, which I have also been doing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hello, and welcome.

Celiac, from what I have read, is always harder to handle in a country where you are not so familiar with the language and the medical system is not so familiar with celiac. It is difficult enough in a country where everyone supposedly knows the ropes :( It seems that you are happy with your self-diagnosis, and you just want to manage it properly.

The things celiacs are often deficient in (it is a disease of malabsorption) are Vitamins A, E, D and K, and folate (B9), plus minerals magnesium, calcium, zinc and iron. The worst deficiencies are B12 (easily manageable with a sublingual methocobalamin tablet) and D, which if left untreated can lead to osteoporosis. and also one of the two forms of anemia (either iron deficiency anemia which can be tested by testing your ferritin level), or pernicious anemia which is a deficiency of B12 and/or folate - these are the two kinds of anemia.. So if you want a starting point, see if you can find a doctor to check all of the above. If not, at least B12 and D and ferritin. If your D is low it is important to have a DEXA scan to check your bone density, and to get a prescription for high-dose D because the recommended 400 IU of D is nowhere near enough to bring you back into range. The B12, if low, can be handled as above with a sublingual which should be able to be purchased OTC. Then a good multiple vitamin and multiple mineral in addition should be a big help - not the usual US recommended RDA, but one with much more than the 100% , If you are low in ferritin (have not been there, done that) it is more problematic because iron is not easily absorbed in tablet form and sometimes injections are required. I hope someone else will chime in on that. I note you have been taking iron and calcium and your previous DEXA scan was good, so if you are not deficient in D you will probably be okay there.

Glad you have a celiac friend to talk to because sometimes we feel alone in this journey. :)

Galley Slave Newbie

Thank you so much for the detailed reply mushroom!! Will test for as many of those as possible. Yes I'm as happy as can be with the results, don't want to have to eat gluten again for weeks on end only for them to give me proof on black and white. I'm just trusting my body on a day to day basis and I have not felt this good in a long time. I would not dare go for any testing here as celiacs is not very prevalent at all in Thailand - and of course there's the language barrier. It was difficult enough trying to find iron tablets!! The hospitals in Penang, Malaysia are as good, if not better than most first world hospitals (a LOT of people come here for "medical holidays" - and it costs a third of what I'd be paying in South Africa (which is by no means cheap for locals!!!). So fingers crossed the results won't be too bad. Thanks again. Much appreciated! :)

Archived