Bonjour!

Buckwheat, Corn, Quinoa-Ok? Help Need Answers

Rate this topic

Hi! I am new to the forum and also to the gluten free diet. I have been diagnosised with Celiacs and am having trouble being 100% certain I am eating the right things.

I have read some conflicting information regarding Corn, Quinoa, and Buckwheat. They seem to be gluten free and ok in a gluten-free diet, but, I just read that no real extensive studies have been done on these grains and that one should take caution and only eat in moderation. I eat all three, pretty much daily, in fact I would say they are a staple to my gluten-free diet currently.

Does anyone have any recent information showing these grains to be ok (as in daily consumption)for gluten-free diet or has anyone experienced trouble with eating these grains?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post, any responses would be greatly appreciated!!

Neither buckwheat nor quinoa are grains, and the storage protein for corn is very different from the storage protein for wheat, barley, and rye.

Neither buckwheat nor quinoa are grains, and the storage protein for corn is very different from the storage protein for wheat, barley, and rye.

I don't think I have ever seen a buckwheat or quinoa plant. What are they? Seeds? A fruit of a plant? Alien life forms? :D

I don't think I have ever seen a buckwheat or quinoa plant. What are they? Seeds? A fruit of a plant? Alien life forms? :D

Quinoa is actually a seed I eat buckwheat but I'm not sure what it is, but strangely enough is NOT a wheat.

And just for interests sake :)

Quinoa plant

A Quinoa Plant

Buckwheat plant

http://www.laspilitas.com/comhabit/91000.htm

No doubt about it, all three are safe for Celiacs.

I have read some conflicting information regarding Corn, Quinoa, and Buckwheat. They seem to be gluten free and ok in a gluten-free diet,

Officially they should be okay for most people who are gluten intolerant since they do not contain gluten.

I am not one of those who can eat no grains (I eat rice and buckwheat and sorghum) but I cannot eat corn or quinoa (and I am a bit leary of millet and amaranth too). So just as with any other food, you will have to rely on your own individual reaction to those three.

I've heard that some buckwheat products actually have wheat mixed into it, so make sure whatever brand you get is 100% pure buckwheat.

Also, Bob's Red Mill buckwheat is made at a facility that produces wheat. Don't make the same mistake I did. <_< Luckily I realized this before I opened it and was able to return it.