Rate this topic

The Cake mix Doctor is great but....

Has anyone found a way to make a "yellow" dry mix in place of the cake mixes this book recommends? I used to bake and decorate really fancy cakes for all my family members Birthday parties and wanted to keep it up and I LOVE the recipes in the book but don't want to buy boxes and boxes of GR cake mixes, it's too expensive. Just wondering if anyone has done that before. I know she also uses chocolate cake mixes too. Is there some science to it that makes an individualized yellow and chocolate cake mix in bulk that would work well for this book?

Wow, what an interesting thought! I wonder what would happen if you find a gluten-free cake recipe on line, mix the dry ingredients and then follow a recipe in the book. I'd do it with a single cake only to test it. We know how cheap the dry ingredients are and how expensive the mixes are plus we still have to add a lot to them.

I know for bread recipes, the dry ingredients (except yeast) can be made up ahead of time in single batches...so why not cake, too.

I recently bought the book but haven't tried any of the recipes yet (I have my eye on a couple of bundt cake recipes).

Someone gave me the book as a gift, and I feel the same way about boxed mixes. Why spend so much money, especially when I cane make it better form scratch? She does have a lot of good tips in there, so my solution has been to improvise a little bit by just taking the tips and using them when I make up my own recipes or adding them to existing recipes from scratch.