glutenconfusion

Need Some Clarification On The Dairy Issue, Please!

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I haven't been diagnosed yet but I'm planning to go gluten-free later this week after my endoscopy. My question is this: does every gluten intolerant/celiac person need to cut out dairy for best results? I have been lactose intolerant for seven years and have worked out a system in which I drink Lactaid milk, eat yogurt and aged cheeses with no problem, and eat regular dairy products frequently while popping Lactaid pills. None of this causes me digestive distress

If its not causing you problems, I wouldn't eliminate it. A lot of people go off dairy for a few weeks or months when first going gluten-free. This is because we digest diary in the small intestine right where the Celiac damage is. It isn't mandatory and I don't think its become a law yet. ;)

Ha ha, thanks kareng. I'm completely freaking out right now, so not having to eliminate my precious yogurt will make my life much easier as I try to navigate all of this!

I was lactose intolerant to the point that even Lactaid didn't help with milk, cream, ice cream, but I could eat yogurt, cheese and sour cream all along without even needing Lactaid because the enzymes and cultures digest the lactose for you.naturally :)