txplowgirl

Symptoms From MSG

Rate this topic

I just got a new book called From Fatigued to Fantastic by Jacob Teitelbaum, MD.

If you have anything from Fibromyalgia to messed up hormones. I highly recomend this, I can't put it down. There are a few pages on MSG that I thought might help someone here. I'm not going to type all of it but here are a few things I thought you might be interested in. Some of these I knew but I even learned something.

The symptoms of MSG reaction, accordiing to the National Organization Mobilized to Stop Glutamate (NOMSG) and the Truth in Labeling Campaign (TLC), "although seemingly dissimilar, are no more diverse than the reactions found as side effects of certain neurological drugs." Among the symptoms they list are the following:

Cardiac. Arrhythmias; extreme drop in blood pressure; rapid heartbeat (tachycardia), angina.

Circulatory. Swelling

Muscular. Flulike achiness; joint pain, stiffness.

Neurological. Depression, dizziness, lightheadedness, loss of balance, disorientation, mental confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, hyperactivity, behavorial problems in children, lethargy, sleepiness, insomnia, migraine headaches, numbness, paralysis, seizures, slurred speech

Gastrointestinal: Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach cramps, irritable bowel, bloating.

Respiratory: Asthma, shortness of breath, chest pain, tightness, runny nose, swelling.

Skin: Hives, rash, mouth lesions, temporary tightness or partial paralysis (numbness or tingling) of the skin, flushing, extreme dryness of the mouth.

Urological: Swelling of the prostate, nocturia

Visual: Blurred vision, difficulty focusing.

If you are sensitive to MSG, make sure that you carefully read the labels on all food products.

The following foods and food additives contain enough MSG to be known as common MSG-reaction triggers.

Glutamate, Monopotassium glutamate, Glutamic acid, Calcium cassinate, Sodium cassinate, Gelatin, Textured protien, Hydrolyzed protien, Yeast extract, Yeast food, Autolyzed yeast, Yeast nutrient.

According to the NOMSG and TLC these food items often contain MSG or create it during processing.

Malt extract, Malt flavoring, Barley malt, Bouillon, Stock, Carragean, Maltodextrin, Whey protien, Whey protien isolare, Whey protien concentrate, Pectin, Protease enzymes, Enzymes, Protease, Flavors and flavorings, Natural flavors and flavorings, Natural pork flavoring, Natural Beef flavoring, Natural chicken flavoring, Seasonings, Soy sauce, Soy sauce extract, Soy protien, Soy protien isolate, Soy protien concentrate, Anything that is "protien fortified", Anything that is "enzyme modified", anything that is "ultra-pasturized", Anything that is "fermented", Disodium qualylate, Disodium Isolate.

People who are MSG sensitive should also try to avoid Aspertame, which is sold under the name Nutrasweet. The culprit is the aspartic acid in Aspartame

Also, anyone with an MSG sensitivity should use extreme caution when trying the often-recommended L-glutamine supplements to support gut healing. It is easily converted in the body (essentially to pure MSG). I learned this the [very] hard way after taking 2,000 mg of this stuff on the recommendation of my dr. I'd never been so sick or so scared - I thought I was going to die! :(

Also, anyone with an MSG sensitivity should use extreme caution when trying the often-recommended L-glutamine supplements to support gut healing. It is easily converted in the body (essentially to pure MSG). I learned this the [very] hard way after taking 2,000 mg of this stuff on the recommendation of my dr. I'd never been so sick or so scared - I thought I was going to die! :(

OMG :ph34r:

I am sooooo glad you posted this. My daughters and I were MSG free long before we even knew what celiacs was. I was going to buy some L-Glutamine this weekend and start taking it. :blink: I am scared to try it now.

Have you tried anything else for Leaky gut that has worked for you??

OMG :ph34r:

I am sooooo glad you posted this. My daughters and I were MSG free long before we even knew what celiacs was. I was going to buy some L-Glutamine this weekend and start taking it. :blink: I am scared to try it now.

Have you tried anything else for Leaky gut that has worked for you??

I take a probiotic daily and strictly adhere to my short list of safe foods. I feel really good, but I have had no relief as far as getting any foods back. That's still as bad as ever. Sorry!