This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened & Can't Figure Out From Where!

Katrala

Katrala Contributor

My poor stomach.

I know that every stomach ailment I ever have won't necessarily be celiac-related, but this must be. It is too similar to how I felt (but got used to feeling) before I found out gluten was the problem.

I woke up this morning with my stomach rolling. Bloated, gas, and my stomach is loud enough for my husband to hear the sounds in a quiet room.

But I have no idea what I could have eaten. And since it was this morning, I assume it had to be something from last night.

So far today all I've had is a few Hershey Kisses and a banana. Last night my husband made chili for dinner (which doesn't typically upset my stomach) and used mainly fresh ingredients. I had a cheese sandwich (with Udi's) with it and some tortilla chips (don't remember brand but they say "gluten free" on the bag) later in the evening. I also made some hot lemonade for myself last night using lemon juice from a bottle (ingredients didn't look suspicious) and splenda (wal-mart brand, though) sweetener.

I guess CC is possible somewhere, but I was so careful making all my food. We have a "gluten" area of the kitchen for the kids and I made their food first last night before making mine with cleaning in between. I can't imagine a little bit of CC doing this to me, though.

I'm already sick with some type of sinus/allergy/spring-time crud and have no voice, so the stomach bit is just making it worse.

Oh, I did have a Coke Float yesterday afternoon - it's Teacher Appreciation Week and they were bringing them around and making them. Someone else at the school has been gluten-free for awhile and she told me it should be fine to eat (and she had one as well.) It was made with Breyer's Creamy Vanilla and Coke. Nothing else was on the cart as they brought it around.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lynnelise Apprentice

Some chili powder has gluten in it so I would check that first. Also could your husband have used a scratched pan that has cooked gluten or a wooden spoon to stir that has been exposed to gluten? I'd say cross contamination is the most likely culprit.

As for the float I assume the ice cream was purchased specifically for the float? I once got sick from ice cream because my mother-in-law scooped it with same spoon she had scooped peach cobbler with. :rolleyes: Otherwise Breyer's is a Unilever product and they declare gluten on the label if it's present.

Katrala Contributor

Yes, the ice cream was just for the float.

Can CC really make you this sick? And how long can it last?

I'll check the chili powder.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Yes, the ice cream was just for the float.

Can CC really make you this sick? And how long can it last?

I'll check the chili powder.

Yes cc can make some people very sick. I drank a water bottle once after my husband who had been eating gluten all day and I paid for it for a week.

Katrala Contributor

A week?

All I can say is that I feel like it's the night before my colonoscopy. This is terrible.

Chili powder looks OK (it was McCormick and just the powder, not the seasoning.)

I think this experience is turning me off from ever eating anything that someone else touches.

A week?

All I can say is that I feel like it's the night before my colonoscopy. This is terrible.

Chili powder looks OK (it was McCormick and just the powder, not the seasoning.)

I think this experience is turning me off from ever eating anything that someone else touches.

Yes. I am very sensitive and the smallest amount will make me sick for a week to ten days. Sorry to say this but it sounds like your life is full of gluten landmines. Did you get new pans, wooden spoons, cutting boards, etc? What exactly did your husband use in the chili? Most mainstream tomato soup has wheat in it. Are your spices new or old? Any chance they could have flour dust in them from previous baking? Doe syour husband brush his teeth before kissing you if he has been eatign gluten? What about the kids? Do you make them wash their hands after they eat? They should if they are eating something like crackers or bread.

Another thing you might consider if you are new to the diet you may be temporarily lactose intolerant. In which case that ice cream would give some symptoms similar to a gltuening.

Katrala Contributor

Another thing you might consider if you are new to the diet you may be temporarily lactose intolerant. In which case that ice cream would give some symptoms similar to a gltuening.

Would the diet make me lactose intolerant?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Would the diet make me lactose intolerant?

If you have damage to the villi in your intestines, then you may have trouble digesting lactose when you first go gluten free. The villi produce lactase which breaks down lactose. Once the gluten is removed and is no longer damaging you your intestines will start to heal but you may be lactose intolerant while you heal. Most people that have trouble with dairy cut it out and are able to add it back in after several months. Some people can tolerate low lactose foods like hard cheeses and yogurt. Some people have such bad lactose intolerant that even "lactose free" dairy (i.e. lactaid milk) bothers them. And some people have trouble with casein instead of lactose (I don't know as much abotu what would cause the casein intolerance, maybe someone else can shed light on that).

Katrala Contributor

I still don't know what it was, exactly, that got me. Or if it even Celiac-related.

Yesterday doc sent me to ER for IV fluids and today I'm finally able to sit up.

No one else in my family has been sick (yet) so I don't know if it's a virus or something I ate.

Archived